Pet Food Container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonStigler

Reaction score
I have this old pet food container here that I was thinking of using as another primary fermenter, it has a nice screw-on lid with a gasket and would easily accept an airlock. It has a #2 code on the lid and on the bottom. I did a few searches here but didn't see anyone else using anything like this other than for grain storage, etc. Thoughts?
Cheers,
Brian

food container 002.JPG

food container 004.JPG

Yep those are the petsmart pet food containers that some people have used as fermenters..Just put a hole and grommet for and airlock on it.

Gamma Plastics Vittles Vaults available through Petsmart. They are food grade, stackable, come in various sizes, and have an airtight locking lid...

32120780-177x150-0-0.jpg

Others also use it for grain storage...

I saw the same thing the other day. It's looks like a sweet deal for a primary. It would be real easy to clean. I thought the prices were decent also.

Thanks guys,
I wanted to brew another batch today but my ale pail is in use. A Brewer's Best Oktoberfest has been in there for a week, but I am taking the forums advice and leaving it in there for another week or so. My LHBS swears to rack to a secondary after after 7-10 days, but everything I have read(including Palmer's "How to Brew") has said to leave it in the primary for at least 2 weeks for the yeast to clean up their mess. I am brewing another batch as I type this, a BB Hopnog kit, I have already modified the vittles vault for an airlock.
Cheers,
Brian

Yeah, not every proprieter reads every forum or book or listens to every podcast, so the last book or info they may have learned may be in Papazian from 30 years ago, Heck even Palmer has learned stuff since he wrote how to brew, and has said things on podcasts that he admits contradicts what he wrote (look for the Basic brewing podcast called, "What is an Ibu, Really?" it will blow your mind....This is an ever evolving hobby...Places like this is where you find the most state of the art information/wisdom about brewing, because of the sheer number of us trying new things, hearing new things, and even breaking new ground and contributing to the body of info on the hobby...Look at some of that inventions that came out of here, and then ended up later in BYO articles by our members...

SO yeah, over the last few years there's been a shift away from the autolysis bogeyman and into letting the beer sit in primary longer, rather than a secondary...and in 5 years or 5 months the pendulum may swing to something different.

But for now, longer is better.

Back