Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Six months of mead, brewed between January and June 2015, to make roughly eight gallons.

image.jpg

My first good tasting mead - currently 2 months old and tasting better than my first which is now a year old.

DSC_0577.jpg

Decided to bottle my first batch yesterday (out of secondary).

Sadly we used a pretty crappy rake so we ended up with very cloudy bottles.
As you can see in the first bottle in the middle, the batch was very clear.

Also added a photo of the mead prior to bottling (My container has a dark hue, so the mead looks a lot darker in the big one ;) )

Had a little sip:
Ended up a pretty strong and pretty sweet mead (~2 kilo honey on a total of 5 liter mead).
Now let's hope I can keep my fingers of from it long enough haha.

For my second batch I'm thinking of using all kinds of berries.
But first I will invest in a decent automatic rake that doesn't suck up all the stuff on the ground :(

IMG_20150717_010832.jpg

IMG_20150716_213817.jpg

Interesting bottles you have there, they look a lot like boiling flasks. What do you call that style of bottle?
Regards, GF.

Over here at the dutch webshop where I bought them they're called Tulipana Bottles (Derived from Tulip, you know, THE dutch flower :p)

http://www.brouwmarkt.nl/lege-fless...sierfles-0-2-ltr-hoog-model-tulipana-wit.html

They have 200 and 500 ml bottles.
I used them because they look great imo and they're a nice way to give small samples to friends ^^.

Not sure if you can use regular corks with them, tho. Didn't want to risk it so I used the supplied T-corks

Buckwheat honey mead from February 2014, been sitting in a demijohn with way too much headspace.

It smells good to me, with a distinct aroma of the buckwheat honey plus alcohol fumes.

Tastes a little hot still but not too bad.

Unsure what the abv is but I'd guess somewhere between 12-14%.

image.jpg

Mead made from raw wildflower honey in February 2014 but had to top it up with some buckwheat honey mead due to headspace in the carboy. Not sure what the abv is but it is over 10%.

image.jpg

Long time lurker and first time poster. I wanted to share what I would brew when stationed in Japan. Think this was my second batch of mead and Im surprised at how clear she came out.I thought Id ruined it when I came back from a deployment so I did a secondary ferm using distiller yeast. Near the end it was pushing 20-22% and tasted smooth till that hangover the next day.

And yes, the label is my own.

IMG_0690.jpg

VanIceMead082414.jpg

Vanilla bean ice wine (tea) mead. Demi-sweet, slightly spicy and smooth. Very drinkable, but would be improved with a touch more tannin and acid. Easily my best mead ever. Alas, only two bottles remain.

This is my pineapple ginger melomel on the left and serrano pepper mead codenamed: Dragonfire. bottled on 8/1. We'll see how it looks in the fall. I'm hoping it will be ready in time for the holidays.

004.jpg

I know what all of these things are individually, but can't fathom how they work together.

What makes it an ice wine? Did you use late harvest/frozen grapes?

I understand your confusion. It's not a straightforward answer. On a vacation to Vancouver last summer, I picked up some ice wine-infused black tea as a souvenir (got some maple-infused tea as well). I added some of the tea bags to a batch of vanilla bean mead that was turning out pretty flat in the flavor department. The resulting mead is delicately spicy and tough to describe. If you ever try some of this tea (available online) you'll get a sense of the profile this mead has.

This is the last batch of mead I made, at the end of July, with tea, lemon and fermented with Safale S-33 yeast. Water is Volvic mineral water. Honey is 1.36 kg of generic Rowse set honey. Original gravity was around the 1.070 mark but I can't remember exactly. If it ferments dry it'll be in the range of 10% abv.

image.jpg

We used a bag of frozen mango and bottle of mango purée juice from Costco. Half the bag and half the bottle in the primary and the rest in the secondary. 3 gallon batch. It's yummy! Not too sweet, like a good Riesling.

Back