Bottom of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEGENSCHWARTZ

Reaction score
With my first batch I had a stiff layer of yeast and such at the bottom of my bottle. I just got back from vacation and checked my second batch that I bottled almost 2 weeks ago and the layer is not stiff at all. With the first one I could tip the bottle upside down and nothing would move but with this one everything leaves the bottom and floats. I'm curious if that will change since I don't want to be drinking that stuff.

Steven

I am surprised you had a batch with that hard of sediment. When you pour, be sure to try and not disturb the bottom sediment. Leave the last quarter inch of beer and the sediment will be kept out of the glass.

Different kinds of yeast have different properties in how they settle out. Some form a very hard layer at the bottom, some... not so much.

I usually swish around the last 1/4-1/2" of beer and swig it down. Tastes like beer. I think I can taste a slightly yeasty flavor to it but it might be in my head.
Sometimes I forget to leave a little bit in my bottle and the worst that happens is a slight cloudiness in the glass. For my wheats ofcourse I try to make sure the yeast gets in the glass.
Craig

Back