7-Grain Cereal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBREWDOG

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am in search of what the SG points would be for 7-Grain flaked cereal. It's a great untapped adjunct. I would be greatly appreciated if someone knows this info or knows where to send me. Thanks!

Cheers :mug:,

Joseph Gill
Mount Baldy Brewing, LLC
Townsend, MT
www.mountbaldybrewing.com

Don't quote me on this, but I was told to never use commercial cereals because of the preservatives that they have to use. I don't know what they are and I don't know what they do to our wort/homebrew, but I've heard it isn't good.

The reason not to use commercial cereal is because it's heavily processed. I've heard of people try to make beer from cereals like grape nuts but it never ends well. I've been tempted to try mashing some puffed wheat but have never bothered.

Some cereals are processed, some are not. I just brewed an ale with 10% of the grist from a flaked wheat/barley/oats/rye cereal, and it seemed to work fine. I gave it a quick boil to make sure everything was gelatinised, then added to the mash. It's still in the fermenter, so I can't comment on the end result.

The cereal I am using is all natural and has no additives or preservatives. Basically it's like adding equal parts of flaked rye/wheat/oats. I've used it before but just am curious as to what the possible points would be in something like that.

Thanks for the advice.

Joseph Gill
Mount Baldy Brewing, LLC
Townsend, MT
www.mountbaldybrewing.com

Latest posts

Back