interesting rye beer... critique please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhatchable

Reaction score
So I just filled my fermenter up with a Basil Rye Amber.

6 lbs Two row
2 lbs Munich
2.5 lbs Rye Malt
8 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Biscuit
6 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Dextrose

Simple single infusion mash at 151 for a quick and dirty 7 gallon batch.

.5 oz Magnum for 60 minutes
and a healthy handful of freshly pruned sweet basil for the last 5 minutes.

It smells vaguely of thai food fermenting... a plus in my book

and now for the obligatory request for advice... more basil for "dry basil-ing" ? My neighbor has an aromatic purple basil plant that I can smell from down the block. anyone think that may be overdoing the basil a bit? any thoughts on the beer in general? I kind of imagine it as a hybrid of hop rod rye, hop head red (far less hoppy though), and bison honey basil ale...:ban:

Sounds like an interesting beer, hope it turns out well. I'd let it finish fermenting, then give it a taste and decide if it needs a dry-herbing.

I agree with the above poster. Basic is actually a fairly strong herb, and a little goes a long way. There are many astrigent compounds in basil that don't come across in the aroma. I also have two things to add:

1. If you're going to throw some in later, remember to boil them first, or at LEAST freeze them. That sounds like it sort of defeats the purpose, but basil isn't nearly as free of nasties as hops.

2. I'd argue against using purple basil the first time around. I've grown probably a couple dozen varieties of basil, and purples tend to be very, very strong in flavor. Try a green sweet basil first, or maybe Ararat, anise (Persian), Mexican (for cinnamon flavor), or a lemon or lime basil.

Interesting. I've been wanting to brew a rye beer this weekend. May try this recipe myself and let you know how I fare with it.

Back