First batch is bottled!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diogenes

Reaction score
Well my first brewing attempt is in the bottles. Russian Imperial Stout. Took about ten days to hit the FG and then spent three weeks in the carboy. Now I'll wait maybe three or four weeks and try one. Next week I start a pilsner to brewing.

When capping the bottles I may have been a little heavy handed. Some of the caps came out with little dents in them. I turned them over and they did not leak.

Well, you certainly didn't mess around starting out with a RIS. Congrats on the first batch, and don't worry about the dents. Wing cappers (if that's what you used) make those marks easily.

Wow man talk about jumping into it head first. RIS by the looks of it seems a pretty legit brew process. I have my first batch in the primary still (since Wednesday night) and I just went with a simple nut brown ale.

I wanted to get a feel for capping just for fun so I capped a few of my empty bottles with my wing capper and ended up with a couple dents as well but the seals were still solid. I think that's just SOP with those things. I may look into getting a bench capper soon. Gotta get a larger glass carboy first though ;)

I wanted to get a feel for capping just for fun so I capped a few of my empty bottles with my wing capper and ended up with a couple dents as well but the seals were still solid. I think that's just SOP with those things. I may look into getting a bench capper soon. Gotta get a larger glass carboy first though ;)

I dunno, might want to save your money on the bench capper. After a few more batches you'll probably be itching to get into kegging and then won't need a capper anyway :D

I dunno, might want to save your money on the bench capper. After a few more batches you'll probably be itching to get into kegging and then won't need a capper anyway :D

Good point man! I've thought about it. I inspired my brother to get started with his first home brew as well. He's going right into it with kegging though since he was given all the hoses and equipment by a buddy of his who just deployed to afghanistan.

My birthday is coming up so maybe I'll ask for a tank and some hose fittings :cross:

Yeah, it was a wing capper. One of the red ones that feel like they are going to snap apart every time you use it. Got two of them though. I may pick up a bench capper at a flea market. I put the bottle into plastic boxes in case I over primed.

Why is a RIS more of a challenge than other styles?

Back