dry hopping in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
Did my first dry hop in the keg today. My plan was to use a small nylon bag for the 1oz of simcoe from my first AG brewed 2/6/09 and kegged 2/27/09. Still no idea what it really tastes like, I kegged it and shoved it in a corner since it came in at about 10% abv I figured it could use some time.

Two the issues came up today :cross:. The only nylon bag I had was a paint strainer from Lowes which was way too big, but I didn't realize this until after shoving it in the full keg. Pulled it out, cut the top off with a keg sealed it with a zip tie and got another to tighten around the beer out tube. That didn't work because I dropped the zip tie and watched it fall to the bottom of the keg. Grabbed another and after some wrestling I got it tightened. (Yes I sanitized everything in an iodine solution.)

In two weeks I get to taste this brew and can't wait. It was a huge PIA from start to finish (except when I had it in timeout sitting in the keg). Being in an apartment I don't have easy access to a hose. The day I brewed I also found out that the hose access on my apartment doesn't work. So I carried my full, hot, keggle about 100ft inside my apartment, put it in the bathtub to cool and finally got it in the better bottle after burning my hands completely. My revenge will be sweet :drunk:.

To anyone who is starting to brew if these crazy things happen to you - just relax have a homebrew and know it will be fine :tank:

Back