what kind of beer is this???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
ok so i am attempting to make my own recipe for an english brown ale and i was wondering if this falls under the style

English Brown Ale

3.3lbs Plain Light LME
2lbs Plain Light DME
8oz Crushed Crystal Malt 60L Steeped at 160f 20 minutes
4oz Crushed Chocolate malt Steeped at 160f 20 minutes
1oz Kent Golding Hops 60 minutes
1 1/2oz Fuggles Hops 5 minutes
Nottingham yeast
2oz Fuggles Hops (Dry Hop)

Sure does! Here are the stats when I plugged it into Beersmith:

estimated OG: 1.043
Color: 14.7 SRM
IBU: 24.6

Looks like a fine recipe to me.

It's not jsut about the numbers - it's also about the taste, aroma, mouthfeel, etc. I would say your late and dry hops take it out of style - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php - there should be little to no hop aroma. With your 5 minute and dry hop additions, you will get more than a little. (though I suppose this might fit best as a Northern English Brown)

Don't get me wrong, I think this will be a great beer. And it very well may be in style (I'm not a beer judge). I'm just suggesting that if you are concerned with brewing to match a certain style, you need to take into account the overall recipe, not just your gravity, IBU, and SRM estimates.

I was taking all of those into account, and to me it seems in style. Granted I'm not the most familiar with brewing up English browns but it seems like a decent recipe to me. The only thing I might change it upping the amount of crystal 60. I like really the malty character from 60 in an English brown. I had something similar to the recipe and it fit in to what I think of when I think of English browns. I do agree about the dry hopping like you said, though.

update: the beer is great. i'm drinking one right now. it's been in the bottle 3 weeks. the recipe i did was a bit different though
3.5lbs Plain Light LME
2lbs Plain Light DME
8oz Crushed Crystal Malt 60L Steeped at 160f 20 minutes
4oz Crushed Chocolate malt Steeped at 160f 20 minutes
1oz Kent Golding Hops 60 minutes
1oz Fuggles Hops 30 minutes
1oz Fuggles Hops 5 minutes
Nottingham yeast
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.015

its a really nice ale. maybe it tastes more like an english pale ale than a brown. but you do get some mild chocolatey thing going on too. i like this recipe. im going to make it again with all DME

Back