Interesting fermentation going on..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krantze

Reaction score
Background: I'm brewing a Franziskaner Heffe Weizen clone and pitched one liquid yeast right away and a dry pack an hour later (had a spare pack wanted to use it).

Within the first 12 hours I had a huge layer of krausen. It fermented very vigorously for about 5 days then the bubbling slowed and eventually stopped.

Interesting part: It's day 12 and while the top half of my wort has cleared up, the bottom half is still active. There is no visible krausen or bubbling.

What's the yeast up to?

Sounds to me like it's done, whats the gravity? Wheat beers are cloudy, good drinking early, it may even be time to bottle.

By active, do you mean it is swirling around in there? If that is the case, it sounds like it is still fermenting. If you mean it is bubbling and yeast is rising from the trub, it may just be releasing CO2.

I just checked the gravity and its 6.8%.

Looks like its the CO2 rising from the trub. I currently don't have bottles. Is it something I should get done asap or will letting it condition a week or two more affect the flavor?

6.8% is your ABV or your alcohol percentage. What did the hydrometer say should have been something like 1.012 ish... :mug:

I just checked the gravity and its 6.8%.

Looks like its the CO2 rising from the trub. I currently don't have bottles. Is it something I should get done asap or will letting it condition a week or two more affect the flavor?

You can wait but we haven't established if it is done yet. What was the original specific gravity and what is it at now. The hydrometer sgould have a gravity scale on it.:mug:

Alcohol %. it has a 1.06 OG and, as of today, a 1.008 FG.

Also, I added a 1% alcohol boost during the boil.

Alcohol %. it has a 1.06 OG and, as of today, a 1.008 FG.

Also, I added a 1% alcohol boost during the boil.

Looks good, you can let it condition another week if you like, it'll only get better.:mug: If it gets clear you probably won't win any awards with it but who cares if it's good.

Back