I got a healthy brew going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BravoNacho

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any advice on how to handle this?
Am I at risk of contamination at this point? I did have water in the airlock I swear.
Can I simply take the airlock off, clean and sanitize and put it back on with out the risk of spoilage? Or should I try and rig up a blowoff tube?

IMG_4498Medium.jpg

How far into the fermentation are you? I think you'd be better off with a blow off tube....

When you're ready to switch, soak a sponge in sanitizer to clean up the mess...If you can.

A blowoff tube would be the best solution and then you can reuse it all the time without worry in the future. If not then clean it off and you will likely have to do it several more times. Everything shouls be fine with the beer as it is outgassing.

This picture was taken this morning, day 3. After approx. 12-16 hours lag time. Also do you have any links to images of a decent blowoff tube?

You could also do a modified 3 piece airlock blowoff in a pinch as well.

blowoff2.jpg

You have to find a piece of long hose that will fit in the center pipe of your airlock...I had to do it in a pinch and found the the hose I had for my bottling wand almost fit....I put a small slit in it, then I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes to Soften and slid it around the tube...

I also found it is a good idea to cut, saw or break off the little criss crossing piece of plastic at the bottom of the airlock.

hopsalot said:
is that a 5 gallon carboy?

I can't be sure, but it looks like a 5 gallon to me.

All my 5 gallons have the block pattern raise in the glass and none of my 6.5's do.

If it is a five that certainly explains the explosion.

Oh and It hasn't actually exploded that is just the foam coming out of the little holes in the airlock.

Latest posts

Back