first all grain attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The world is now yours to dominate. You can make just about anything once you cross over to AG, just make what you like to drink!

Make something simple. Like a cream ale. Cream of 3 crops? Will help you get your mash temp and process down. Also use rice hulls.

The world is now yours to dominate. You can make just about anything once you cross over to AG, just make what you like to drink!

Wow...very optimistic...I like it. But seriously, try something basic and move from there, make a simple beer and work on your process. Move up from there.

Wow...very optimistic...I like it. But seriously, try something basic and move from there, make a simple beer and work on your process. Move up from there.

+1 getting your mash temp right maybe a challenge in the beginning. Hold the temp is usually another challenge. Understand how your cooler behaves.

Im pretty excited to get AG brewing...

Too bad this weekend is too busy..

Next sun i plan on having my maiden voyage, maybe a nice pale ale or summer ale

A good idea might be a SMaSH--Single Malt and Single Hop. For example, I made on recently with nothing but US 2 Row and Cascade Hops. It made a nice Pale Ale and is a good way to 1) nail down your procedures with simplicity, 2) see how different ingredients effect a batch when you start adding other things to the same beer in subsequent batches.

That sounds like a good idea...

I am concerned about holding mash temps so maybe a smash would be a nice idea, just worry about the process and the beer will follow

I have 8 ounces of fuggles... I wanted to use it for a maris otter fuggle smash but ive read mixed reviews on it

That sounds like a good idea...

I am concerned about holding mash temps so maybe a smash would be a nice idea, just worry about the process and the beer will follow

I have 8 ounces of fuggles... I wanted to use it for a maris otter fuggle smash but ive read mixed reviews on it

Try it out. You might like it. Never know.

Make something simple. Like a cream ale. Cream of 3 crops? Will help you get your mash temp and process down. Also use rice hulls.

I have also just got my equipment for AG and will soon do a "Cream of 3 Crops", but my very first will be a Scotch Ale! Cannot wait to try it!!

Got my AG kit (Scotch ale!) in the mail today!! Also got a PM American honey pale ale. I will brew this on Cinco de Mayo at the latest. Have to take the new pot and burner on a test run first. I am as excited as a little girl!

image-1011680413.jpg

The Cream of Three Crops will have to wait...

IMHO, if I were you I'd find a great recipe and follow it to the letter. Designing Great Beers is a good book, or 80 Awarded winning beers.

mikescooling said:
IMHO, if I were you I'd find a great recipe and follow it to the letter. Designing Great Beers is a good book, or 80 Awarded winning beers.

I certainly plan on doing so. I have been browsing several recipes of my favorite styles. I will need to borrow the book you mentioned, probably from the local library. I've heard it is indispensable for home brewing AG styles!

It seems like everything starts out as a pail ale, then grows form there. When I did my first AG, I had drain plugging issues with the MLT; Just a heads up. Also have a little DME on hand incase you come in low, if you don't use it then, you can use later it for starters.

They didnt have saaz so i changed the recipe

8lbs 2 row
4 oz honey malt
4oz crystal 40
4oz carafoam (they didnt have carapils)
4oz flaked barley (should i use it?)

1oz cascade - 60 mins
1oz centennial - 5 mins

Washed us -05

What u think? Any suggestions or comments?

Back