Best place for maltable gluten free grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstarner

Reaction score
Specifically looking for millet and quinoa. I have gotten these from Whole Foods but remember someone mentioning that they couldn't get them to germinate.

Also, I have gone to a local feed store and they only had millet on the vine/branch and it was a pain in the ass to get off.

I never got the WF's millet to malt. I've had good luck with the quino that I bought from Costco. I have never tried WF's quinoa, but I believe it can malt. Their hulled buckwheat can also be malted.

I've had good luck getting quinoa at my local grocery store or the local food coop. I've gotten millet at the coop, but I haven't tried malting any, so I don't know for sure if it would.

Also, great luck with buckwheat from my coop.

You'll probably just have to see what is available in your area.

Further note: I had asked for advice on sprouting grains from a local 'raw food' person, and they told me that they had bad luck finding millet that would sprout. According to them, it isn't as 'durable' as other grains like buckwheat. They said it needs to be really fresh, and to start out soaking it for only a few hours, as it drowns quickly, especially if it is hulled. Keep in mind, of course, that this information is second hand, and from a person who plays guitar on the street and doesn't wear shoes...

I was in Akins the other day and saw bags of "Sprouted" Millet and Quinoa. they were small and pricey but already malted. Question is, what is the degree of conversion.

Back