IPA Darkening??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewdor

Reaction score
Recently brewed an India Pale Ale brewers best extract kit, nothing fancy, followed the steps as normal. Only when I transfered from primary fermenter, to secondary carboy, the color seemed to get darker after a few days. When transfered it was an orange hue, now after about 5 days it's a deep brown. Didn't know if it's simply the brews color density or something else is up. I've brewed plenty of kits before, but this is the first I've seen color change.

Recently brewed an India Pale Ale brewers best extract kit, nothing fancy, followed the steps as normal. Only when I transfered from primary fermenter, to secondary carboy, the color seemed to get darker after a few days. When transfered it was an orange hue, now after about 5 days it's a deep brown. Didn't know if it's simply the brews color density or something else is up. I've brewed plenty of kits before, but this is the first I've seen color change.

When the beer clears, and much of the yeast in suspension drops out, the beer will appear darker (since the yeast is light in color). It always looks darker in the carboy than in the glass!

The reason that it's darker now is just that the beer has cleared a bit! So cover it with a towel or blanket and leave it be. It seems perfectly fine.

My last brew:

Wort: dark
Primary with yeast: light
Right after I put into secondary: dark
After a week in secondary: light

Back