Carbonation drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
So I have been using the Cooper's drops in my 750 ml (24.67 oz) PET Bottles and they work great. Now I am wondering how they will be using 2 drops in a 22 oz glass bottle. Has anyone tried them in these and how was your carb level? I am worried about bottle bombs with less volume. Thanks!

Why don't you batch prime? Siphon your beer to a bottling bucket, add 3/4 cups of dextrose (in a boiled and cooled solution) and bottle as normal. I've never used those tablets, but I'm guessing that batch priming is a lot cheaper........

I'm with ablrbrau in saying that bulk priming is the way to go, 'cept I would siphon the beer into the bottling bucket on top of the priming solution. That way, everything gets mixed together fairly well, just by the movement of the beer swirling into the bucket. Of course, you would still want to give it a stir, and then again about halfway through the bottling process.

To answer your question more directly, no harm is going to be done by using two carbonation drops in 22 oz bottles. 2.67 ounces less beer isn't going to cause bottle bombs. In fact, 2 drops in my 750 ml bottles, didn't even produce the carb level I had hoped for. The way you are wanting to do it, will at least help to ensure your beer gets carbed adequately...

I''ve seen these... seem more of a pain in the A$$ then is necessary, which is why I have not used them yet. When you bottle as others have said you can use a primming solution. All you have to do is boil/cool solution and put it in the bottling bucket first. Then siphon the beer on it. The siphoning will proppery mix everything so you dont have to risk oxidation by stiring. I have seen suggestions of stiring mid way and what not.... I have never done this though. Stiring a little certainly wont kill anything.. just don't splash the beer around. Although I have not seen this to be needed if you add the solution in first.

I have heard that 2 drops in a 22 oz. bottle will result in normal carbonation, but I have never tried it. I use to use Prime tabs. I liked using them because I could keg most of my batch and still have a few bottles on hand. I never got adjusted to using a counter pressure filler from a keg.

Back