When to Rack Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par383

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just started some cider on Saturday, and it's going strong as we speak. I was thinking it's probably a good idea to rack it, but I'm not sure when. The batch I'm making is just over 6 gallons (I was going to make 5, but I completely forgot to take into account the frozen apple juice concentrate). I'm using champagne yeast (not sure which one...the owner of my brewery supplier told me it's the kind I want to use). The OG was 1.070. Is 1 week too early to rack it into another carboy?

Thanks.

The best time to rack is when the gravity doesn't change for 3 days. This means fermentation is complete.

I just racked my cider after 2 weeks. Airlock activity was down to a minimum (1 bubble every 2.5 minutes), and I had about 2 inches of sediment in the bottom of my bucket. Now I'll let it sit in the secondary for about a month or so, then rack again and bulk age for 3 or 6 months.

I would rack when the lees are thick. If you got tons of crud on the bottom, and the sg is 1.030 or less, I'd rack. With an og of 1.070, you're in wine area more than cider. Champagne yeast should ferment it dry, maybe to .996 or so depending on if you have any unfermentables in there.

Back