I think I made Vodka Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwmiscik

Reaction score
I made a dortmunder export a few weeks back as my first lager and it had a blow off tube on it that was going into a bottle of cheap vodka. Now I crashed it down to 40 degrees a couple days ago. I checked on it today and all of the vodka in the bottle was gone. Then it hit me that the cooling created a vacuum and sucked all the vodka in! It was probably a solid 2 or 3 pints of vodka and now I am worried that it is just going to be a slight beer flavor with an overwhelming alcohol flavor. Does anyone have any input on this situation?

Homemade Boilermaker! There is no way to fix this. Why were you using a blow off after fermentation was done? The one piece s shaped air locks are the best for cold crashing. Try the beer It might be drinkable!

I was still using the blowoff because i had no real reason to change it to a normal airlock. Had I know I was going to suck in a bottle of vodka I would have put an airlock on it haha. I am going to try it later today and hopefully it is drinkable. At least I know ill never do that again.

Ive heard of someone doing this with starsan and it actually ended up not mixing with the beer and creating a starsan "cap" guy racked from underneath and saved it, although he lost close to a gallon to avoid the starsan/beer mix up top.

If you see a clearer solution up top you might be in luck although i think vodka would mix right in where as starsan has all those bubbles and creates a layer??

Not sure just throwing my .02

I was still using the blowoff because i had no real reason to change it to a normal airlock. Had I know I was going to suck in a bottle of vodka I would have put an airlock on it haha. I am going to try it later today and hopefully it is drinkable. At least I know ill never do that again.

If you must use a blow off make sure it is lower than your wort so it doesn't siphon.

At three pints, the vodka's still only 7.5% of the batch (presuming a 5-gallon batch). At 80 proof, that'll raise your ABV by about 3 percentage points.

So... you should still have beer, though perhaps not beer you'll want to have more than one or two of if you've got anything important to do the next day.

Back