Rice hulls question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Rice hulls question.

I have made several batches of beer but I have never used rice hulls in the brewing process. How much is typical for a 5 gal batch? Will the hulls asorb a lot of water?

Same here, but only use them on wheat beers. Floaty little suckers are a pain in the mash paddle with my Speidel Braumeister...

It helps to filter the grain bed and prevent a stuck mash in all grain brewing. Wheat and pumpkin create a mash that gets stuck easily, these are the only 2 I can think of where it's a benefit but I'm sure there are others.

Unless you are using wheat or pumpkin there is no purpose for them.

People use rice hulls in beers to substitute grains like wheat that do not have their own husk. They provide little to no flavour but if not added the mash will become 'gummy' and will create a stuck sparge. You may have poured 3Gallons of water in there but may only get a cup or two out of it.

Rice hulls question.

I have made several batches of beer but I have never used rice hulls in the brewing process. How much is typical for a 5 gal batch? Will the hulls asorb a lot of water?

I use about 1/4# for a 10 gallon batch and have yet had a stuck sparge, but that is because of my mash tun design. You can always presoak them if you're worried about absorption because I believe they do absorb more water than grains do.

I use about half of a pound for my wheat beers, since I like to use a really large percentage of wheat. Most people don't, but I presoak my in hot water just so I know for sure they aren't absorbing any water or doing anything to the temp. Probably unnecessary, it just puts my mind at ease.

Back