LA/San Diego Trip - What Brewpubs & Breweries Do I Have To Hit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird, I've probably asked this before, but where in LA are you? We need to get together for a beer sometime. $5 Pliny sounds good. :D

I don't remember ever paying more that $5 for a pint of Pliny. Any of the bars in SD that carry it have it for around $5 (Hamiltons, Toronado, Blind Lady sometimes although its less and you get less since they charge by the size, O'briens)

I think it's more of a LA/OC thing. Everything is just stupidly more expensive. Over at Beachwood BBQ, where they had Pliny the Younger last week, nothing on their list is usually under $6.

In a cask, nonetheless.

Too bad I missed it.
I missed it too. I was busy at 6pm and got over there about 9 in hopes there was any left. Fat chance. They did have a growler that they had behind the bar for the "in" crowd that couldn't be there earlier, but I'm not that in the know, so I had a Lost Abbey Devotion.

The best thing about my last visit to Stone was that the waitress was really nice and brought me a bunch of free tastings of stuff they had on tap, completely unsolicited.

Then we went on the tour and got a ridiculous number of tastings after that, too.

The best thing about my last visit to Stone was that the waitress was really nice and brought me a bunch of free tastings of stuff they had on tap, completely unsolicited.

That's not uncommon at many breweries I've been to in San Diego. Sit by the bar, ask a server what they like or what's good and you'll generally get a few free samples. Ballast Point, Lost Abbey, Stone, and Lightning are especially good in that respect; Backstreet and even Rock Bottom if it's quiet.

That's not uncommon at many breweries I've been to in San Diego. Sit by the bar, ask a server what they like or what's good and you'll generally get a few free samples. Ballast Point, Lost Abbey, Stone, and Lightning are especially good in that respect; Backstreet and even Rock Bottom if it's quiet.

Ya I agree. Ballast Point was awesome. I never had the Sculpin before and they gave me a free sample and I feel in love. Same with Karl Strauss. Tried the Full Suit Belgian Brown, very good.

subbing for later use. headed back to SD later this month and am wanting to hit some of these places.

Ya I agree. Ballast Point was awesome. I never had the Sculpin before and they gave me a free sample and I feel in love. Same with Karl Strauss. Tried the Full Suit Belgian Brown, very good.

Sculpin is one of the three best single IPAs in San Diego. How's that for a qualified statement?

very true....Stone and just about every other brewery/beer bar in SD is very helpful and will let you sample just about anything. Ballast point is great about that. Next time your there, try a black eye....a mix of their big eye IPA and their black marlin porter...yum. Also agreed on Sculpin. The best IPA from San Diego not made by Apline Brewing Co.

very true....Stone and just about every other brewery/beer bar in SD is very helpful and will let you sample just about anything. Ballast point is great about that. Next time your there, try a black eye....a mix of their big eye IPA and their black marlin porter...yum. Also agreed on Sculpin. The best IPA from San Diego not made by Apline Brewing Co.

What?? Alesmith IPA is better than anything Alpine does. Alpine does IPAs well and all, but I'd take Alesmith over it any day.

with a bit of help from this thread i just had an AWESOME SoCal trip and hit up a ton of breweries and some awesome beer bars.

Ended up going to:

AleSmith
Ballast Point
Churchills Pub
Stone
Coronado
Toronado taphouse
Port/Lost Abbey
Pizza Port
Green Flash

One of the most memorable beers is still AleSmith's Speedway Stout. D@mn, that was an amazing beer.

with a bit of help from this thread i just had an AWESOME SoCal trip and hit up a ton of breweries and some awesome beer bars.

Ended up going to:

AleSmith
Ballast Point
Churchills Pub
Stone
Coronado
Toronado taphouse
Port/Lost Abbey
Pizza Port
Green Flash

One of the most memorable beers is still AleSmith's Speedway Stout. D@mn, that was an amazing beer.

You got to Toronado and you missed Hamilton's? That's a shame.

Speedway is a phenomenal beer and I plan to drink a bunch of it tonight. I have a growler of barrel aged Speedway waiting for me.

You got to Toronado and you missed Hamilton's? That's a shame.

Speedway is a phenomenal beer and I plan to drink a bunch of it tonight. I have a growler of barrel aged Speedway waiting for me.

Yea, some guy in the airport was telling me about Hamilton's, but we just didnt have any more time to hit anywhere else. This was all done over the course of basically 3 days, so we were extremely busy.

Both Churchills and Toronado had an awesome selection of beers though.

I'm not too sure about LA, but here in SD, I'd definitely check out one of the Pizza Port locations. The San Clemente one is really nice, great view from upstairs, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

As someone who grew up in San Clemente the above mentioned places are all good, but probably the best local brewery you will find is one of the more hidden little gems of the area called Breakwater Brewing Company. It's a brewery/bar that actually has dozens of different beers and from personal experience, I haven't had a single one that isn't AWESOME. I make it a point to go there every time I go back home or when I'm out working at Camp Pendleton.

Breakwater Brewing Company
101 North Coast Highway
Oceanside, CA 92054
(760) 433-6064

:mug:

Back