Porter - Comments, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsks2

Reaction score
Going to brew this weekend, any comments or suggestions are appreciated...

6lbs marris otter LME
1lb crystal 60L
0.5lb carawheat (crystal wheat)
0.5lb chocolate malt
2oz roasted barley
-steeping all grains

1.5oz Sterling @ 60min.
0.5oz Sterling @ 15min.

1 tsp Irish moss @ 15min.
8oz Pappy's Sassafras Tea Extract @ 15min.

Wyeast American Ale II

Primary for 1-2 weeks
Secondary for 1 month

Prime with "dark" brown sugar for a little flavor

JSKS2
Texter Mountain Brewing Co.

sounds good........I've had a porter on my mind lately, and you just confirmed my next batch :D I had aquired some starbucks whole coffee beans and was thinking a little coffee in mine ...... those hops should go well in that brew. keep posted.
Brian

brewed it Saturday...everything went well, beer smells wonderful, thought the sassafras would get lost after boiling for 15 min., but it was still there in the background...hope its stays through fermentation. Only problem, it seems that the final color isn't as dark as i had hoped, almost looks more like a brown ale than a porter...oh well, if it tastes good I'll call it a brown ale.

Glad I could make up your mind for you and hope your porter turns out great!

you're probabaly right, I may be surprised what it looks like in a actual glass and once the solids settle out...thanks

Moved to a secondary last weekend, still looks a little light, may be on the very low end of the scale for a porter. Tasted a hydrometer sample...maybe a little too hoppy for a textbook porter but Ok by me, maybe a little too much roasted flavor that i'm hoping will diminish some in the secondary...the nice surprise was the sassafras flavor remained and just lightly hits your tongue before the malt and hops, kinda unique...I like it. A couple more weeks and its time to bottle, come up with a name (suggestions?), and make a label.

Latest posts

Back