Bourbon Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
I brewed this batch of porter... the Plain Porter in my signature/ epitaph. I split the batch when I put it into the secondary. 2 gallons became the Plain Porter and 3 gallons went ontop on a persimmon/ bourbon slurry.
IIf you are brewing a porter now throw in a decent glug-glug-glug of Makers Mark... maybe only 4 glugs. I had 2 or so on 3 gallons, so for 5gs...?
Nice porter recipe, but with bourbon the after taste is less bitter. I assume the alcohol content is bumped up a bit... mine is atleast.:drunk:

So, throw the bourbon into the secondary?

Sounds interesting. I'm going to do a porter this weekend. Maybe I'll try that (if nothing else, it gives me a good excuse to buy a bottle of good bourbon :)).

Sounds awesome catfish....I had a oak barrel stout last year that was too over the top for me, but I'd probably like it now. Just the name is intriguing though.

So if you are a lifetime supporter you can have an avatar the size of my monitor? Damn that fish is HUGE!!!! :D

I put MM in my America $&#* Yeah! Brown Ale, and although I didn't use a lot, I can see the benefits. I put it in the last few minutes of the boil though, because I figured the bourbon might kill the yeasties if the alc didn't boil out. Wrong assumption?

I'm down.
Secret ingredient numero uno. Oh, wait....I guess it's not a secret now. Oh, well, let's do it anyway.

Dude said:
Sounds awesome catfish....I had a oak barrel stout last year that was too over the top for me, but I'd probably like it now. Just the name is intriguing though.

So if you are a lifetime supporter you can have an avatar the size of my monitor? Damn that fish is HUGE!!!! :D

Two Rows in Houston does a Whiskey Barrel Stout that is a little too much. good, but needs to be toned down a bit.

Kaptain, we should use Makers Mark or something of equal or better quality. No Jack Daniels, and certainly not Jim Beam (shudder)...

PM me about the brew off, when should we shoot for?

I put the Makers in the secondary. No probs with the yeasties kicking off, Guess i didn't put in enough. I had a couple 22s with lunch and one with dinner... it's pushing 9 o'clock and I'm having trouble typing.

rewster451 said:
Kaptain, we should use Makers Mark or something of equal or better quality. No Jack Daniels, and certainly not Jim Beam (shudder)...

OK, seriously now, I have a porter ready to go into the secondary tomorrow and I'm thinking of putting a little bourbon in mine. Do you really think Jim Beam would ruin it? I guess if nothing else, it would be a good excuse to get some MM and drink the rest of it.

I don't think jim beam would Ruin it. But, with all the effort you've put in there so far, you would really be short changing yourself.

Kentucky Gentleman would probably ruin it.

You know, it's interesting how there can be so much variance in different brands of bourbon. I remember touring the Old Fitzgerald distillery some years ago and being told about the strict rules they had in order for a bourbon to be labeled "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey." If I recall correctly, it's basically distilled from a corn mash made with corn and water and nothing else and then aged in oak barrels. Under the circumstances it's amazing how different one brand can taste from another brand of bourbon.

catfish said:
I don't think jim beam would Ruin it. But, with all the effort you've put in there so far, you would really be short changing yourself.

Kentucky Gentleman would probably ruin it.

i agree. go with a good bourbon. MM, Gentleman Jack, or try some good scotch!:drunk:

Back