Backsweeting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassSpy

Reaction score
When can I add honey or fruit to sweeten my mead? It's finished fermenting and just clearing.

Plus, if you're using honey, its better to add the honey to taste while the mead is still cloudy, because honey can case a protein haze and you don't want to have to clear of twice.....

Thanks guys! I guess I need Potassium Sorbate to stabilize? 1/2 tsp per gallon? Also, if I do use honey, what's a good amount for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks guys! I guess I need Potassium Sorbate to stabilize? 1/2 tsp per gallon? Also, if I do use honey, what's a good amount for a 5 gallon batch?

You need sorbate and campden tablets- sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites.

As far as sweetening, that's hard for someone else to tell you. Since I hate anything sweet, my taste would be far different than yours. An easy way to do it is to pull out a sample, and then add honey to taste. Take the SG of your sample, and sweeten the whole batch to that SG. It's easy with a little math to figure the right amount, once you know how sweet you want it.

Thanks again a ton guys. You've helped a lot. I did what I needed to do, with the exception of pulling a sample out and finding the right amount to taste. That's only because I did it before Yooper's last post. Hopefully I guessed right. I added a cup of honey and a cup of semi-sweet apricot juice. With the smell before hand, I think I'm somewhat safe. I didn't want anything too sweet, just a good balance. Even if I get lucky, I've learned my lesson and adjusting my future recipe accordingly. Thanks again.

For back sweetening, I take a gravity reading from the batch "as is", then I make up "honey syrup" (50/50 honey water). It then depends on what the gravity reading was. I'd say something like 50mls per gallon to start with. After the first addition, take another gravity reading (don't forget to stir the batch gently after you've added the syrup and before you take the second reading).

The second reading will tell you how much you've increased the gravity by, and taking a little taste of the sample will give you some idea of whether you need to add more.

The trick is "a little at a time".

I like my meads at about 1.010, which most would consider medium, anything above 1.020 is too sweet for my liking.

regards

fatbloke

p.s. Oh and as Yooper says, stabilise first. You can add the campden/sulphite and sorbate at the same time. I then like to give it a couple of days before I start back sweetening.

Back