Planning a head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afio18

Reaction score
I have only brewed on kit so far but I really wanted to alter a recipe to come up with a twist of my own. Let me know what you guys think.
9.3 LBs of Light LME
1 LB Crystal Malt Steeped 60L
1/2 LB Carapils Steeped
1/2oz. Horizon (60)
1/2oz. Horizon (45)
1oz. Cascade (20)
1oz. Amarillo (10)
1oz. Amarillo (5)
1oz. Cascade (Flame out)

I found the recipe online and changed some things after some research.

Too much crystal for an IPA. I'd get rid of the carapils. I didn't run that through a calculator, so I'm not sure of the OG or the IBUs you've got there. What size boil are you doing?

I ran it through some online cal Dropped the Cara I did want to add a good body so 2 LB of DME would do that. The FG comes out High 1.017 my OG is right in the range. I think it is going to be a test. New recipe is.
9.3 LBs of Light LME
1 LB Crystal Malt Steeped 60L
2lb Amber DME
1/2oz. Horizon (60)
1/2oz. Horizon (45)
1oz. Cascade (20)
1oz. Amarillo (10)
1oz. Amarillo (5)
1oz. Cascade (Flame out)

It looks like it might work out.

I would use Extra light DME instead of Amber DME, and get your color from the crystal malt only. Looks good otherwise. What kind of IBUs are you getting from your calculations?

Personally, I wouldnt let that much crystal scare me, but I like my IPA's to have a thicker malt backbone than some folks do. Homebrewing is all about personal taste (unless you're entering competitions) so you do what you like.

+1 on switching to lighter DME than the amber, especially for this beer or you might have an IPA that looks more like a brown ale.

Back