NFL Offseason, HBT mock draft?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the 13th Pick the Carolina Panthers Select... Chris Williams (OT) Vanderbilt

Rationale: The Panthers have poor Guards and may move a Tackle to guard and will open up a starting job for Chris Williams. Delhomme doesn't need another Season ending injury.

Pick 14 - Chicago Bears -

Malcolm Kelly WR (Oklahoma)

Rationale: Even with an uncertain QB throwing, Da Bears are in need of a young WR that they can build around. Malcolm is probably the best WR available this year.

With the 15th pick, the Lions select Sedrick Ellis, DT - USC.

Ellis is a consensus top 5 pick and I almost fell out of my chair when he was still on the board for the Lions at #15. I had expected to be deciding between Keith Rivers and Rashard Mendenhall, but picking up Ellis to fill the gap in the middle (created when the Lions traded Shaun Rogers to the Browns) is a no brainer.

With the 16th pick in the 2008 HBT Mock Draft the Arizona Cardinals Select Sam Baker - OT - USC

With the right side of the line doing well with Levi Brown, Sam Baker will help tighten up the left side of the line for edge to get over 1200 yards this season.

Pick # 17 - Minnesota Vikings

Derrick Harvey - DE Florida

Rationale: Now that Minnesota has their offensive juggernaut tied up, they just need to focus on getting some help in stopping teams from throwing all over them
Harvey should be able to get in, learn the D and get pressure on the opposing QB. He has great speed and is a very good pass rusher.

The Houston Texans have traded the 18th overall pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 20th overall pick and the 52nd overall pick.

We may only be picking the first round but it seems like this would be a move a real GM might make. Feel free to tell me Im wrong.;)

With the 18th Overall Pick The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Devin Thomas WR MSU.

Rationale: under extensive research I found that the Bucs really only needed 1 high pick at this point. There are not many receivers with high stock this year but they need a young WR that they can build around for when Galloway is gone and I think thomas was the 2nd or third best WR in the draft.

Eagles select...

Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

Rationale: Despite other needs, the Eagles will be happy to see Mendenhall lasted this long. With an aging and gimpy Westbrook, Mendenhall and his 4.4 speed will be a nice treat for Eagles fans. BPA all the way, baby.

For the 20th pick the Houston Texans select
Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida

Rationale:

Another arguable pick. They need someone right now. I think hes a bit underrated and will fair well in the pros. Perhaps a few growing pains but overall I think would be a solid prayer that they may want to keep around for awhile. Or he could be a strong bargaining chip down the road.

Edit: Do I get punished for taking too long. Here how bout a higher signing bonus?

With the 21st selection the Washington Redskins select Philip Merling, DE - Clemson.

New head coach Jim Zorn would probably like to get some help at WR here, but Merling is too good of a value at 21 at a position of need.

With the 22nd selection the Kansas City Chiefs select Keith Rivers, LB - USC.

Rivers was a consensus top 15 pick with the potential to go in the top 10. LB is not the biggest need for the Chiefs, but Rivers presents exceptional value at this point in the draft and will step in immediately as a starter.

RICLARK said:
Did everyone lose interest?

That may be the case, I'm not sure. Hopefully it's just a case of people having other things to do since it's the weekend.

Regardless, jzal8's time is up and in orer to keep the draft moving I'm making the pick for him.

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Aqib Talib, CB - Kansas.

Limited Visibility is now on the clock for the Tennessee Titans.

Gah, sorry guys seriously. No loss of interest, just lost track of time yesterday.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
By the time we finish the real draft will be over!

I didn't expect much to happen over the weekend. We only have 6 picks to go so it shouldn't take too long.

Anyone up for Round 2? It would require more research into players and team needs, but would be interesting. It was mentioned previously so I thought I'd throw it out there now that we're almost at the end of our 1st round mock.

If you want to participate in round 2 let me know. Anyone who does not respond regarding round 2 will not be included.

I'll do a round 2...but I vote for a 48 hr weekend clock haha.

Man, I'm sorry about missing my pick. Thursday/Friday/Saturday was a whirlwind for me, and let's just say that when choosing between Monk's Cafe and the draft, or between rockin' hotel sex and the draft, well, the draft is gonna lose. I had my picks listed up, but I just didn't have the time to see if they'd been chosen already. But I'm down for the 2nd round. I should be more available this week.

The Jacksonville Jaguars select Calais Campbell, DE - Miami.

New head coach Mike Smith comes from the defensive side of the ball and Campbell will help solidify his front four.

with the 27th pick the San Diego Chargers Select. Jeff Otah, OT - Pittsburgh

Rationale: They Released Shane Olivea and have a RT spot open that Otah could step right into.

with the 28th pick the Kansas City Chiefs select Branden Albert, OT/OG - Virginia

With the 29th pick, the San Francisco 49ers select Gosder Cherilus (OT, Boston College).

Rationale: Alex Smith needs some more protection so he can really settle down and get comfortable and realize his potential. Cherilus is a reliable tackle and can pick up the right, give good finishing blocks, etc. Beefing up the OLine early will hopefully give Martz the confidence he needs going into the next rounds to pick up a WR or two, so Smith has some more options.

Do the colts not have a first round draft pick this year?

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I got my pick made for me right after 24 hours ran up why did that stop?

Sorry guys - busy, busy weekend for me.

With the 30th selection the Green Bay Packers select Antoine Cason, CB - Arizona.

Green Bay's starting corners are both over 30 so they need some depth in the secondary to build for the future.

Anyone else want to partake in round 2? So far I have the following:

ohiobrewtus
jzal8
BuffaloSabresBrewer
RICLACK
Evan!

If anyone else is interested please let me know (limited visibility, Dude) - if I don't hear from you I'm going to assume that you do not want to participate in Round 2.

Round 2 won't start immediately after jzal8 makes his pick for the Giants, as I'll need to figure out who's picking for which teams since we may be losing a couple of people.

Here's my 1st round mock so far. The only guy I'm not sure of is Branden Alberts (OT/OG) from Virginia. He's shooting up most mock draft boards. Mel Kiper even has him going at #5 overall to the Chiefs. After his Pro Day he's now regarded at the #2 OL prospect behind Jake Long.

1. Miami Dolphins - Chris Long, DE - Virginia
2. St. Louis Rams - Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB - Ohio State
3. Atlanta Falcons - Glenn Dorsey, DT - LSU
4. Oakland Raiders - Sedrick Ellis, DT USC
5. Kansas City Chiefs - Jake Long, OT - Michigan
6. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB - Arkansas
7 New England Patriots (from SF) - Leodis McKelvin, CB - Troy State
8. Baltimore Ravens - Matt Ryan, QB - Boston College
9. Cincinnati Bengals - - Keith Rivers, LB - USC
10. New Orleans Saints - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB - Tennessee State
11. Buffalo Bills - Mike Jenkins, CB - South Florida
12. Denver Broncos - Branden Albert, OG/OT - Virginia
13. Carolina Panthers - Ryan Clady, OT - Boise State
14. Chicago Bears - Rashard Mendenhall, RB - Illinois
15. Detroit Lions - Derrick Harvey, DE - Florida
16. Arizona Cardinals - Phillip Merling, DE - Clemson
17. Minnesota Vikings - Malcolm Kelly, WR - Oklahoma
18. Houston Texans - Jonathan Stewart, RB - Oregon
19. Philadelphia Eagles - DeSean Jackson, WR - Cal
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Limas Sweed, WR - Texas
21. Washington Redskins - Chris Williams, OT - Vanderbilt
22. Dallas Cowboys (From Cleveland)) - Malcolm Kelly, WR - Oklahoma
23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Aqib Talib, CB - Kansas
24. Tennessee Titans - Devin Thomas, WR - Michigan State
25. Seattle Seahawks - Kentwan Balmer, DT - North Carolina
26. Jacksonville Jaguars - Calais Campbell, DE - Miami (FL)
27. San Diego - Jeff Otah, OT - Pittsburgh
28. Dallas Cowboys - Antoine Cason, CB - Arizona
29. San Francisco 49'ers (from Indianapolis) - Quentin Groves, DE - Auburn
30. Green Bay Packers - Felix Jones, RB - Arkansas
31. Pick forfeited by New England Patriots
32. New York Giants - Jarod Mayo, LB - Tennessee

With the 32nd Pick in the 2008 draft, the New York Giants select OLB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee.

Mayo can provide competition with Gerris Wilkinson for the starting WLB spot as well as help provide depth and a possible replacement at the SAM if Kiwanuka moves back onto the line.

Here is the round 2 selection order. Dude, Limited Visibility, and capcrnch have yet to indicate if they want to participate but I'm going to leave them in here unless they tell me otherwise. Same as before, 24 hours to make the pick or it gets made for you.

Everyone has 4 picks. You shoudl all have the team that you wanted to pick for, and for the most part have the same teams that you selected for in round 1 - with a few changes to even things out.

Some of the top prospects still on the board that did not get selected in Round 1 are:

Kenny Phillips, S - Miami (FL)
Pat Sims, DT - Auburn
Justin King, DB - Penn State
Dan Connor , LB - Penn State
James Hardy, WR - Indiana
Felix Jones, RB - Arkansas
Chad Henne, QB - Michigan
Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware
Quentin Groves, DE - Auburn
Jonathan Stewart, RB - Oregon
Curtis Lofton, LB - Oklahoma
Fred Davis, TE - USC
Dustin Keller, TE - Purdue
Roy Schuening, OG - Oregon State
Jamaal Charles, RB - Texas
Reggie Smith, CB Oklahoma
Chilo Rachal, OG - USC

Unless there are any objections, jzal8 is now on the clock for the 32nd overall pick belonging to the Miami Dolphins.

32. Miami Dolphins (jzal8) -
33 St. Louis Rams (Dude) -
34. Atlanta Falcons (from OAK for DeAngelo Hall) (ohiobrewtus) -
35. Kansas City Chiefs - (BuffaloSabresBrewer) -
36. New York Jets (RICLARK) -
37. Atlanta Falcons (capcrnch) -
38 Baltimore Ravens (limited visibility) -
39. San Francisco 49'ers (Evan!) -
40. New Orleans Saints (jzal8) -
41. Buffalo Bills (BuffaloSabresBrewer) -
42. Denver Broncos (Limited Visibility) -
43. Carolina Panthers (RICLARK) -
44. Chicago Bears (capcrnch) -
45. Detroit Lions (ohiobrewtus) -
46. Cincinnati Bengals- (Evan!) -
47. Minnesota Vikings - (RICLARK) -
48. Atlanta Falcons (from HOU for Matt Schaub)(capcrnch) -
49. Philadelphia Eagles (Dude) -
50. Arizona Cardinals (limited visibility) -
51. Washington Redskins (Evan!) -
52. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (RICLARK) -
53. Pittsburgh Steelers (BuffaloSabresBrewer) -
54. Tennessee Titans (limited visibility) -
55. Seattle Seahawks (ohiobrewtus) -
56. Green Bay Packers (From CLE) (Dude) -
57. Miami Dolphins (from DS for Chris Chambers) (jzal8) -
58. Jacksonville Jaguars (capcrnch) -
59. Indianapolis Colts (BuffaloSabresBrewer) -
60. Green Bay Packers (Dude) -
61. Kansas City Chiefs (from DAL) (ohiobrewtus) -
62. New England Patriots (Evan!) -
63. New York Giants (jzal8) -

With the 32nd pick in the 2008 draft the dolphins select QB Joe Flacco, Delaware.

The dolphins are rebuilding, and this is one quarterback who has been compared to Big Ben. Small school, big boy (6'6", 240), he took the scouting combine by storm and Parcels can't help himself with this pick.

With the 33rd pick the Rams select Quentin Groves, DE/OLB - Auburn

St. Louis will go into this drat looking for an OT and some speed in defense. In our mock draft they have been successfull in both.

With the 34th pick the Falcons select Jonathan Stewart, RB - Oregon.

The Falcons have bigger needs here, but with Stewart falling into their lap they just can't pass him up.

Latest posts

Back