More Manifold questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigger7

Reaction score
Well it looks like I'll be using a Coleman 70 qt instead of the 60 qt Cube.
My question is when makig a manifold from CPVC can I glue any of together?What kind of glue is recommended?

jcaudill said:
Don't glue it. You need to be able to take it apart and clean it.

+1

You need to be able to take it apart to fully clean it out.

Hi

A lot depends on exactly what your manafold design looks like. I certainly would not glue all of it toghther. As others have mentioned, you need to be able to clean it. You might glue a few parts togehter though.

About the only "right" thing to use on CPVC is CPVC cement. It's a solvent so what you are doing is really "solvent welding" rather than gluing. The result is the same (two things stuck together). The differance is that they melt into each other rather than having glue left between them. If you use the stuff, be sure the surfaces are *clean*. They make a can of stuff for cleaning as well. Both the cleaner and the cement are available in the plumbing department of any big box store near you.

If you do glue, remember - no cracks once you are done. You need to have enough on there to entirelly get the pieces to fuse into each other. That's not very easy (you also don't want to melt them down into a pile of goo). Both pieces get fully coated. Plan on practicing on a handfull of scrap parts and tearing them down. Once you get good at it, glue up the real thing.

Bob

Back