A very noobish question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
im starting my first beer tommarow, an american wheat ale. Ive got the process for this down pretty sure and will let you all know how it comes out, but i wanted to ask if anyone out there has a good recipe for a clone of coors light, i know the first thing you want to say is for me to not make such a waste of barley and hops, but i really like coors light as an in between for more complex beers, i find its lack of real beer characteristics a good cleanser or jsut a good beer to unwind with before bed.

Just a note, i would like to stay away from malting my own barley at this point, it took alot of begging to let my wife relinquish her control of the kitchen, and im sure that having sprouting barley laying around the house will push her over the edge.

thanks in advance

If you search around here for a bit, you'll learn that making any sort of BMC clone is so difficult on a homebrew scale, it's nearly impossible. It can be done, sure, but it's not worth the effort in any way. It just requires a level of control that most homebrewers don't have, and it certainly isn't something you want to be attempting for your second batch. If you want Coors Light, just buy some Coors Light TBH.

There are some very nice Cream and Pale Ales around here though. You could look into BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/), EdWort's Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/), or you could invest in a Lagering setup and try your hand at a few of the Lager recipes.

I would suggest you look at Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale recipe thread in the recipe's in the American Pale Ale section. Here is the link. If you look at the initial post there is an all grain, extract, and Partial mash recipe. He took care of everyone.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

This beer is a light and easy drinking beer that is 1,000,000 time tastier than Coor's Light and very easy to make. The guy I brew with made this recipe and it was a beer drinkers favorite with all the Bud Light drinkers around here. Well worth looking into. You will be hard pressed to duplicate a mass produced lager on a home brew scale. I am seriously considering brewing this one this weekend on my new Sabco system. Notice there are over 50 pages of replies to that recipe. It is that good! :mug:

i understand that coors is going to be impossible to brew, i just want a beer with very little in the way of flavor really, i like my beer to taste like water sometimes, i dont know why, but im just weird like that

In that case, I don't think you're going to find much input from the folks here, I'm afraid. We brew because we love the flavor, not the lack therof.

You could always just add water (as Coors does) until you end up with your desired result. /shrug

im not saying i dont like flavor in my beer, i just sometimes like the lack of flavor too, i guess its kind of a negative space thing, the lack of flavor helps to point out the flavor of other beer.

this was just a secondary question really, i have BIG plans for my setup. ive got some plans for a red ale, at least 2 or 3 fruit beers, and a "sweet" beer.

I just thought "hey why buy it at the store if i can have the fun of making it?"

in fact right now im enjoying an Ithaca Beer company Flower power, Its a high alpha IPA with some heavy grapefruit nose and a nice clean bite on the back end. Its one of my favorites :)

i understand that coors is going to be impossible to brew, i just want a beer with very little in the way of flavor really, i like my beer to taste like water sometimes, i dont know why, but im just weird like that

Don't worry You will outgrow that soon :D

I would just buy the Coors light its very hard to replicate in a Home brew environment. There are some beers here that have a lighter crisper taste but they will have a much more pronounced body and taste

just do a cream ale as suggested before, lower the IBUs and ferment in the low to mid 60s, that should get you a beer with minimal hoppiness and make the ale yeast ferment out pretty clean.

You are going to be hard pressed to find someone on here that will respond with a:

"Oh here..try this recipe of mine, it has very little flavor and has a nice pure watery finish."

I am not knocking you for wanting to have your fun trying to make something you like. We all brew for that reason at some point. But as mentioned before, trying to mimic a Coors Light is altogether challenging.

If you want a lighter bodied session beer with low alcohol look at BierMunchers Centennial Blonde. The grain bill is under $20, it is very low hopped, and barely cracks the 4% ABV mark. Also as mentioned, EdWorts Haus Pale Ale is also a wonderful session beer. I have had that beer directly from the creator himself....and yes I drank it all night long. Very enjoyable.

Back