Are my ingredients ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaveBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased some stuff from AHBS and had it shipped to someone in California and they shipped it to me in Hawaii. They sent it parcel post and it took about 5 weeks on a barge to get here should I use the stuff or throw it out? Hop pellets, dry yeast, steeping grains that look like they were already crushed, dried bitter orange and DME. The DME I know is fine.

The hops may be oxidized and the grains may be stale. The bitter orange and DME should be ok. I'm not positive on the shelf-life of dry yeast but, 5 weeks is a damn long time, lol.

You can try to brew. I don't think the resulting beer would be undrinkable, but it probably won't be the best.

Dry yeast has a shelf life of up to two years, so that shouldn't be a problem at all. There should be a best before date printed on the packet. I've used grain that had been milled two months prior and it was fine. As long as it is sealed in a ziplock style bag you should be fine. Taste it and make the decision. It might be a little stale, but definitely usable.
The hops would be my biggest concern, but they were probably vacuum sealed and should be perfectly ok.
You put all this effort into getting the ingredients, you might as well make the beer and see what happens. What's the worst that can happen?

if the hops are pellets and not vacuum packed, the outside layer of the hops may be a bit stale but you have all that wonderful hoppiness inside that should still be fine. if theyre vacuum packed, dont worry about it

Latest posts

Back