Low Pressure CIP option?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertourist

Reaction score
I would REALLY like to upgrade my 3 vessel stainless brewery (bottom drain mashtun) with CIP but I am NOT interested in buying a dedicated pump/pumps just for cleaning.

I'm looking for a CIP solution that can utilize normal run-of-the-mill Chugger or March home brew pumps: has anyone encountered an ultra low pressure CIP ball option yet?
(And specifically one that can handle alkali and acidic cleaners?)

-I'm even open to the idea of buying / building what is essentially just a rotating sparge arm and installing it in my vessels instead of a traditional CIP ball... -Those obviously work pretty well with normal pressures and water.

My plan is to do a hot caustic/alkali rinse by adding the alkali solution to the HLT, then pumping to the MLT, then from the MLT to the kettle with a 2nd pump and back into the HLT via 3rd pump. -I've seen this setup used in a micro brewery and it's a thing of beauty (except that they have their own dedicated vessel for storing the cleaning solution).

I'll then do basically the same thing with starsan the night before I brew.

Adam

pressure is what blasts debris off the walls of the container (among other things). its hard to do without it.... like trying to cook a chicken without using heat.

even a lot of the "CIP" systems that get cobbled together by home brewers dont work very well when you get down to it. the whole system needs to be designed around it, and made from the correct materials... none of which is common practice in homebrewing.

Back