Flat Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pschrey109

Reaction score
So I brewed a hefeweisen for the first time and all has been good from boil to fermentation to bottling. It has been sitting in bottles for almost 2 weeks now. I sampled one yesterday and it is still flat.
Any ideas on what might be going on? Should I just wait longer?
The taste is fine and the hydrometer revealed a 4.8% alcohol content when I bottled it. My last batch, a christmas ale also turned out flat but not completely.
Thanks

Did you use any priming sugar? :D

Where are you storing the bottles? If it's cooler than fermentation temps that will cause the yeast to go to sleep. Usually 65 to 70 is a good range to get carbonation. Any cooler and the yeast will go dormant.

Are you using twistoffs? Those don't always get a good seal (although I've heard people say bench cappers work best with twistoffs) and can let the CO2 out.

Yeah, I used the normal 3/4 cup sugar with 1 cup water as I always have. I used regular caps, not the twist off type.
I do have the bottles in a different part of the house than where I fermented it. That could be the problem.
Thanks fof the advice.

<<Where are you storing the bottles? If it's cooler than fermentation temps that will cause the yeast to go to sleep. Usually 65 to 70 is a good range to get carbonation. Any cooler and the yeast will go dormant.>>

My first homebrew, an IPA, is bottle conditioning now. It was 10 days in and decided to try one just to see how its doing Many have recommended trying one at 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. just to get an idea of how the beer changes throughout the conditioning. Sounds good to me.

Looked, smelled and tasted quite fine, but yes, rather flat. Which I expected to a degree. But being in the Chicago area, its been pretty cold over the past few weeks. We've warmed up to 40 now. But its been boxed up and kept in my pantry (live in an apt., no basement or cellar). I'd guess temps in the pantry to be around 60-64 overnight as we keep the temp in the apt set to 68. Gets a little chilly in the kitchen and pantry sometimes. Old brick Chicago buildings. The walls get a little cold in winter. No twist-off bottles, all capped well.

So say my yeast went dormant and I end up with a good, but rather flat, batch.
Is there anything I can do at this point?

It's not dormant, it will just take longer to carbonate. You can gently swirl/shake them to rouse the yeast, and store it in a warmer place for a couple of weeks. Then, when it's carbonated, go ahead and put it back in the pantry.

Somebody tested wether their caps were leaking by putting an empty balloon over the neck. If the caps are leaking it will inflate the balloon.

I've had problems with my Lite Ale carbonating in the bottle. I found that the closet where I put my stash was too cool for the yeast. I moved the bottles to the family room (72-74 F) and let them set an additional 2 weeks and I did the job. (I let the bottles warm to room temp. and rolled the bottles to agitate the yeast)

yup ive had this same prob, i just moved my latest batch upstairs from the basement because after 2 weeks they are barely carbonated, i have never had this problem before but it has been very cold lateley so...

Patience and faith.

One time I waited far, far too long before bottling and the yeast had almost, but not quite, given up the ghost. After I bottled it took about 3 months to carbonate. Set it aside and think of it as "investment quality beer."

Hamish

Yep. After 2 weeks, my IPA is still very weakly carbed. I shook them, moved them to warmer environments, etc. They might take longer, they may not do more than they already have. I put this particular beer in secondary, and cold conditioned it for a week, and I think too much yeast settled out. We'll see what happens in another week.

I say it may not do anything because:

My Belgian Trippel, which had nearly 100% attenuation, was carbed after a week! It should also be mentioned that I recently had an IPA (Hop Devil) by Victory Brewing Co, and it was weakly carbed, flat like my IPA. <shrug>

5gB

Thanks Yooper,
Am enjoying one of my homebrewed IPAs right now. It tastes great. Its still not where i'd like it to be, the head retention more or less sucks, but the carbonation is getting there. Had a few today just to give 'em a try. Will wait another few weeks before breaking into the stash again. But for a first timer and just using a simple LME kit, this is damn good.

I'll be bottling my Amber Ale either tues or thursday night... I think I'm brewing again next sunday. I'm hooked. I think I may try dry hopping on my next go at an IPA.

I am suffering fom the same issue.
I am fairly new to brewing (only my third batch) and I have a coffee porter (turned out more like a stout) that has been bottled for 3-4 weeks now and has still not really carbonated. Its about the same as the day I bottled. I primed with roughly 2/3 - 3/4 cup brown sugar.
I've tried moving the bottles to a warmer area after the first 2 and a half weeks, but still no changes.
Someone told me that my yeast make have died. Should I add some more yeast? Or did I screw up with the initial sugar amounts or what? My last 2 batches (IPA's) were great. Not sure what happened here.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back