Tasted:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbwagner

Reaction score
My hydrometer reading is spot on with my desired gravity. After testing I couldn't help but taste. It tasted like partially flat beer, but there were some unique bitterness to it that I couldn't attribute to the hops. I couldn't help but notice how cloudy it was though.

Will allowing it to sit make it less cloudy?
What about this bitterness? Did I not get a good hot break? or will all of this just settle out? or am I just tasting flat beer?

Let it sit. How long has it been since you started? You're probably tasting a combination of "green" (young) beer and suspended yeast. Can you post some more details e.g., your recipe and fermentation temperature?

it is flat beer.

If you can get it cold, it will clear a lot faster. Hoppy beers, especially dry hopped beers, may never get clear for you.

That bitterness could be a lot of things. I doubt it will go away if it is a fault in your process that caused astringency. Might also be that you used too much early hops.

I taste my hydros after fermentation and it almost never tastes great. But it usually is a good indicator of the bitterness of the beer. The bitterness seems to increase slightly after carbonation due to the acidic CO2.

I have a SNPA clone in there right now (partial carapil 10 grain + breiss). The gravity is spot on. Its been in there for a little over a week now. The temps have been around 67 - 70. Other than the what I guess is a little left over astringency and flatness it tasted great. The hops were a little bit more prominent than the real thing in taste and aroma.

Back