Brown splotches on leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kungpaodog

Reaction score
I had signs of bugs eating my hops leaves, and I used a little bit of dish soap diluted in a spray bottle on the leaves to discourage the bugs. Now I have small brown spots on the oldest leaves of my plants. The younger lighter green leaves got the same treatment but don't seem to be affected the same way. I think any soap has probably been washed away by now with rain, and there are new signs of bugs eating my leaves.

I also wonder if this may be from too much fertilizer. I've been using a diluted powder fertilizer about once a week. To be on the safe side I did my best to flush a ton of water through my pots in an effort to remove any excess fertilizer.

Will they bounce back?
Is there anything else I can do?
What's a good way to control bugs? (I won't be using soapy water any more, and I am fine using non-organic methods)

The brown wont be from the soap, must be from what the bugs got to first.

Soapy water is still a very good and natural way to kill off many bugs

The leaves on all of plants look rough where they rub anything. The newer ones haven't had a chance to blow around yet. In another month the lower leaves will probalby fall right off. RDWHAHB, you're doing fine.

Back