Cold Crashed Belgian Strong Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian strong golden ale. It started out at 1.072 and I let it go to 1.014 before cold crashing it. Now I'm thinking I should have let it go a little further before putting the brakes on it.
While it falls within the BJCP guidelines, I'm wondering if this is going to taste too sweet for the style. How long do you let your Belgian Strong Golden Ales go before you call it a day?

Next time I'll prolly rack to secondary and let it go for a few more weeks before cold crashing.

EDIt: checked my notes. target was 1.070. The actual gravity was 1.072

I just had a 1.056 Lager go to 1.014 and it was not to sweet. The kegs went dry fast at my sons birthday party. I would be plenty happy with that attenuation. Cheers

Golden Strong's on the agenda for this summer (actually, anytime now that it's starting to warm up a bit). I'd love something in the vein of Russian River's Damnation; looking for a lot of "lighter" fruit flavors, not as much of the spicy clove... I think Vinnie describes "pear" as one of the flavor profiles in this beer. I really liked the Belgian dark strong (not so strong) I brewed last year, I'd like to take another crack at something BIG but with more emphasis on the subtler, fruity flavors.

What yeast did you use?

I went with WLP 550, the Belgian Ale yeast. I have some that I have been feeding for a dubbel that I'm planning on brewing soon. I can share with you if you want.

I went with WLP 550, the Belgian Ale yeast. I have some that I have been feeding for a dubbel that I'm planning on brewing soon. I can share with you if you want.

I might take you up on that. I think I've got everything I need to brew a Golden Strong at Evan's except the yeast. You wanna bring some over to Kai's next weekend so I can get a starter going?

I brewed one two weeks ago based on the Duvel info in Brew Like a Monk. I hit about 80% attenuation, too, but I started with a higher gravity. The book said that Duvel uses dextrose as 17% of it's fermentables, but there was no way I could bring myself to do that.

I think you put the brakes on at a good time, personally.

I used a combination of sucrose and dextrose which made up about 10% of the fermentables. The WLP550 clealry attenuates very well.

You wanna bring some over to Kai's next weekend so I can get a starter going?
Can't make it to Kai's this weekend. Already booked:(

Back