New Glarus Brewery- Interesting Read

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I found this article today in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=726338

Looks as though NG is pretty successful.

I didn't realize they don't sell outside of Wisconsin. They seem to do pretty well, though, in restaurants and stores around Milwaukee. Most supermarket liquor departments have lots of it. Lots of restaurants have either Spotted Cow or Fat Squirrel on tap.

A good read, but funny they don't mention anything about Randy Thiel coming aboard as their new head brewer. He wil be a fabulous assets to New Glarus.

I absolutely love New Glarus beers. It was New Glarus beer they opened my eyes to craft beers, before that beautiful day when I cracked one of Dan's brews I hated beer. I guess that is what happens when you are raised on PBR and Old Style....:eek:

Road Slush comes out this month.....mmmmmmmmmmm

New Glarus is very spotty in my opinion. Their year rounds beers are not very good but their seasonals are much better. Fat Squirrel is the best year round beer by far but still is very lacking. It's nice to see that they are expanding and hopefully people outside the state will see them.

I love their beer and was disappointed when they moved out of Illinois. I stock up on NG when I head north. I loved the line from Deb Carey:
Also, Deb said, Illinois is "a dirty market. Everybody's got their hand out."

How true. One of the reasons we no longer have Bell's, either.

sause said:
New Glarus is very spotty in my opinion. Their year rounds beers are not very good but their seasonals are much better. Fat Squirrel is the best year round beer by far but still is very lacking. It's nice to see that they are expanding and hopefully people outside the state will see them.

Look for that to change for the better with Randy Thiel at the helm. He is an amazing brewer.

Randy will be the Director of Quality Control not the brew master. Do you actually think that Dan would turn that over....what reason would there be for him to do that, I think Dan's credentials and awards speak for themselves.

I stand corrected. I imagine that Randy's new position as the Director of Quality control will only improve the quality and consistency of the New Glarus products. I think Randy's credentials and awards also speak for themselves. ;) It's a win-win situation all the way around for everyone.

Glibbidy said:
I stand corrected. I imagine that Randy's new position as the Director of Quality control will only improve the quality and consistency of the New Glarus products. I think Randy's credentials and awards also speak for themselves. ;) It's a win-win situation all the way around for everyone.

I am looking forward to sampling the fruits of their labor.....:mug:

Nice article. I'd say that New Glarus and Capital Brewery are Wisconsin's two best breweries.

Fat Squirrel and Road Slush. Yummmmm:mug:

I wish I had kept around some of their Bourbon Barrel Bock to age. At the time I had it, the Brett was too lost on it....I wonder... *sigh*

They do make some good stuff from what I have had, I like the Cherry and Raspberry offerings they have. I haven't tried the 'regular' brews of theirs.

Bernie Brewer said:
Nice article. I'd say that New Glarus and Capital Brewery are Wisconsin's two best breweries. ...
For me, it's a 3-way tie b/w New Glarus, Lake Louie and Tyranena! Last time I was in WI for an extended weekend, I practically lived off of Fat Squirrel, Warped Speed Scotch Ale and Rocky's Revenge! Don't get me wrong; Capital brews some good stuff but, IMHO, definitely behind these three.

Back