Measuring Beer in Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one, it works pretty well, I trust it to give me a general idea of how much beer is left in the keg. If your kegs are loaded into your kegerator from the top like in a keezer, it may be a pain to read without removing the keg if the space inside is tight.

A sure sign of a near empty keg is when you,pull a pint,have a taste and say"my god this has turned into a GREAT beer in the last 2 weeks".There is only 1/2 pint left!!

lylo said:
A sure sign of a near empty keg is when you,pull a pint,have a taste and say"my god this has turned into a GREAT beer in the last 2 weeks".There is only 1/2 pint left!!

this

and it is also crystal clear.

The last beers in my kegs also seem to have the most hop aroma for some reason. The last keg I emptied I pulled a pint and smelled it and got giddy with how great it smelled. Then I held it up to the light and saw the metric ton of yeast that was in it. Man I was disappointed.

Last night i just opened the lid to check the amount. I suppose no one does this in fear of infection? But, for us, a keg goes in two or three days, so i just pop open the lid to check. Besides, you probably wouldn't get side effects because of all the co2 inside.

The fun of kegging is to learn how much is left in the keg. I tip a keg slightly. When it feels empty I figure I have about 5 more pours. Then each time you pour a beer you wait to see if the keg blows. You pour and wait for the blow... you pour and wait for the blow.. then it blows....done. Snap the out to the next keg in line and repeat.

This is what i meant in an earlier post by "keg intuition". I wasnt really joking. After awhile of kegging and knowing the beer and the crowd, you just know when its going to happen.

I'm not disagreeing that there are ways to check that don't involve more equipment but I am looking for an accurate way to measure what is in the kegs without moving them, opening them, or in anyway inconveniencing me more than having to take a quick glance.

I am really excited about the float switch ClaudiusB uses but he never responded...

I'm not disagreeing that there are ways to check that don't involve more equipment but I am looking for an accurate way to measure what is in the kegs without moving them, opening them, or in anyway inconveniencing me more than having to take a quick glance.

Really intuition is more accurate than any tool of measurement because it involves pure intelligence or pure knowing so to speak. In the finest moments of real intuition, a "quick glance" is unnecessary, the answer your looking for is already there inside your head. The only reason i actually opened my keg last night was because i wasnt trusting myself, but lo and behold what i already knew was going on right inside there. I feel that this is the true art of a craft, or more specifically this is the true art of brewing the best beer possible.

Has anyone ever tried to take a digital weight scale ( I have one in my bathroom that cries when I enter) and move the LCD to the outside of the kegorator/keezer? Seems like it would be doable..with a chart for the weight, it might be close to the amount that you don't have :)

Just thinking out loud..

just like others have posted, i know it's gonna kick when it's crystal clear and tasting great. my recommendation is to just have another keg ready to tap and you'll never miss a beat.

Back