fermenting dunkelweizen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bball3414

Reaction score
hey all... just wanted to post a pic of my latest beer... its been about 20 hours in the primary so far!!

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

well i woke up this morning to it!
Ive keep peeking in at it probably twice an hour haha

Im trying not to open the door to the closet its in, as its in my kitchen directly across from a window with no shades on it and I dont want the sunlight to screw it up!

Yeah my dunkelweizen fermented like crazy. It blew the airlock off twice and I finally sucked it up and made a blow off tube.

yeah man... i cant wait. just about a week in the primary so far.. gonna let it sit there another and then possibly put it in a secondary... havent decided yet

yeah man... i cant wait. just about a week in the primary so far.. gonna let it sit there another and then possibly put it in a secondary... havent decided yet

No need for a secondary with a wheat beer. It's supposed to be cloudy.:mug:

_

I racked mine to secondary for two weeks...still cloudy haha. Mine's been bottled for a week....I can't wait to crack one open. I'm so tempted to open one tonight :/

Hells yeah, I'm gonna be brewing up a dunkelweizen in a few days, these pics are making me anxious to brew it. Looks great!

wildwest... how long do you recommend i keep it in the primary then?

2-3 weeks?

i will be bottling as i dont have a keg system yet

wildwest... how long do you recommend i keep it in the primary then?

2-3 weeks?

i will be bottling as i dont have a keg system yet

Yup, or when your hydrometer tells you it's done. Wheats are good relatively young.

I've been dying to do a dunkelwezien since early November, sadly the holidays got in the way ... This is making me think I need to stop at the LHBS today and see what kind of kits they have! heh

so at what temp are you fermenting at?? i dont have a cooler or any of that stuff so this looks like it may work well for me. my house temp is at 70F.

I have been reading a lot on this site about needing having the temp in the mid 60s and that will require all kinds of crap. i hope i can just brew beer without the cooling stuff. let me know what you guys have done and learned please. I have an english pale ale in my secondary and a octoberfest in my primary at this time!!

is your octoberfest and ale or a lager?
if its a lager and you used lager yeast, it should be fermenting at a lower temp. Not sure exactly what temp though... depends on the yeast.

My apartment during winter is usually around 70-75... but the closet i keep it in seems to stay right at 68-70 which is perfect for me since i only am doing ales for now.

Back