Need refrigeration help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twisted-brew

Reaction score
I have a True GDM49 left over from my bar. If I don't sell it I am going to convert it into a temp controlled fermenting chamber of sorts. I would like to run some sort of temperature relay switch that has the ability to switch the unit on and off only when it needs to be in my specified range. The reason I want to do this should be obvious, the cooler is 115v 10.5 amps. I don't want that kind of constant power draw. I am looking for something digital with the capability to do so. Is there a way to run a home type thermostat? The built in thermostat only shut off the compressor. The overhead fans and lights are constantly on. I want it to turn off the whole damn thing when it is not running to cool.

Thank you in advance.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446402865.752553.jpg

just disconnect the lights, or unscrew them. no more lighting draw.

the fans kind of need to be on to make the air inside uniform in temparature otherwise you get cold on bottom, warmer on top.

as for a probe, look in the equipment forum here. there are literally dozens of units that *could* work for you- but make sure they can handle the 10.5 amps, i think that might be beyond most small homebrew style units.

lastly, these commercial units are geared for maximum use/ wear-and-tear, not for energy efficiency. only some of the newer models are really designed for efficiency. but mostly that's for the residential market with energy star, etc. commercial units just arent really designed that way. it'll still be a bit of an energy hog. not as bad, but still a hog.

I'm not concerned with the fans. The fermentors will be on the bottom with the doors staying closed but I do understand what you mean. I could possible have a 5* difference from bottom to top. Ill have to plug it in and see what kind of draw the fans pull.

Keeping it running at a constant will cost an additional $100+ a month on the energy bill. That's an expensive home brew - can't have that.

Option 1: Switch the entire thing on and off with a digital temp controller. If you can't find one rated for that amp draw, incorporate an appropriately rated SSR to switch the hot going into the refrigerator. I'm sure you could find a tutorial on line on how to add an SSR to a basic temp controller. I think there's even a recent thread here about it. Use a 5V computer fan or two to mix the air inside 24/7. You're going to need that and it won't cost anything to run. Add a switch for the lights if it doesn't already have one.

Option 2: Switch only the compressor and condenser fan with the above mentioned digital temp controller/SSR. Leave the evaporator fans running all the time to mix the air and don't use the computer fans. This is exactly what I'm doing to my Beverage Air refrigerator, except I'm using a BrewPi. You really are going to need a fan running 24/7. Add a switch for the lights if it doesn't already have one.

Thanks for the info Kevin.
I'm not sure a PC fan can circulate 49 cu ft. I may have to keep the condenser fans running. Either way, once I figure out their power draw, it's probably a given they probably don't draw as much as the compressor.
The thermometer in it is pretty basic. The unit is designed to run at pretty low temps. I need it for good yeast temps, so I assume it won't even run as much as in constant use for following g beverages plus constant opening of the doors.
I won't be converting this thing for a few months. This is something I've been thinking about...
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446408030.714689.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446408042.330767.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446408049.982764.jpg

Latest posts

Back