Yeast Slurry Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunrunner

Reaction score
Can I take and wash the yeast slurry from the bottom ofmy Keg and make a starter from it?

Yes, absolutely. In fact, if you have your second brew ready at the same time that you pull the first beer off the slurry, you won't benefit from a starter - just use the whole slurry for your second batch.

If it will be a week or more between batches, then I'd recommend using the yeast washing method described here:
Yeast Washing Illustrated

If you are harvesting from a keg instead of a fermenter, I would make a starter with it after you wash it.

Got a lot of yeast at the bottom of one of my kegs so I think I will try a starter and see what happens.

Not sure I would use the yeast from a keg. I may be way off base but the best yeast would be from the primary.. more flocculant etc. Can anyone correct me if I am mistaken?

I guess I misread the keg part of the question. I assumed we were talking about a primary fermentation vessel.

Although now that I think about it, we harvest yeast from commercial bottles and grow em...so I am probably wrong.

Back