Corona Mill Question (plastic piece?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hello All,

I got a Corona recently. I do extracts with steeping grains (and have done a partial mash) but figured that you all-grainers would know this.

In the box, there's a grey plastic piece with "Corona" on it; it seems to be a cover of some sort, perhaps for the gears? Well, it was busted up under the weight of the mill, and I don't know if it's necessary, beneficial, or just ornamental.

Please explain--and thanks a heap.
Nige

You mean the dust shield? It's just to help keep the dust (and there is a lot!) down.

Hi Wyz,

It's probably the only plastic part, and it's rounded at the top. I haven't taken the mill out of the box just yet, but I believe it covers the gears. That seems right that it could possibly prevent the grains/dust from going everywhere. Not 100% sure, though.

I'd attach a pic, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks.

as stated above, it's the dustshield. it's not necessary to the function, but will make milling more pleasant. if it's beyond repair, just pull a plastic bag up over that part of the mill and you'll be fine. in fact, i pull a plastic bag over it anyhow....the shield keeps grain bits from flying everywhere, but there's still plenty of dust.

Thanks, Wyz and Buzz. I won't worry too much about it, then. I may still ask the shop for a replacement piece (it was purchased new, it should arrive new), but at least it's nothing major now.

Nige

conditioning your malt will keep dust down as well, and give you a better grind as a bonus

Back