Goodbye Summer : (

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good riddance. It's 50 out here too and I couldn't be happier, bring on the brewing season. I am so sick of sweating it out in my garage having nightmares about the abundance of unknown contaminates floating around in the air.

I don't mind saying goodbye to summer. I love the fall. This is the perfect time of year. Crisp air. Beautiful countryside. Fires. Football. Great time of year. It's what comes next that I am not overly fond of.

The last three weeks it was cloudy, humid, raining constantly, and in the 80s. Now it's sunny, crisp and in the 50s-60s.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'll take the latter.

I agree with the above about having low humidity and crisp temperatures. It's certainly more comfortable.

I will however miss a few things from Summer. First, baseball. I firmly believe that I suffer a form of Seasonal Affective Disorder, where I become more depressed when there is no baseball being played. Second, the activities. There is always so much more going on in the Summer than other times of years. Third, barbecues.

That's all though. I'm really stoked to start brewing more now that it's more comfortable.

I agree with the above about having low humidity and crisp temperatures. It's certainly more comfortable.

I will however miss a few things from Summer. First, baseball. I firmly believe that I suffer a form of Seasonal Affective Disorder, where I become more depressed when there is no baseball being played. Second, the activities. There is always so much more going on in the Summer than other times of years. Third, barbecues.

That's all though. I'm really stoked to start brewing more now that it's more comfortable.

Barbeque is an all through the year activity lest the wind be howling so bad you can't light the coals. Anything less is uncivilized.

I tend to cook out more often in the fall when I can spend a whole afternoon outdoors and not bake in the sun.

Barbeque is an all through the year activity lest the wind be howling so bad you can't light the coals. Anything less is uncivilized.

That's why I went out and bought an all-climate lighter. This thing shoots a flame 2 inches long no matter what the wind and rain are. But now the wifey wants a blowtorch so she can make creme brulees.

Summer was cool and mostly dry this year, but now it's cold and wet. I really don't mind the autumn, but lately it's been reminding me of winter, being just around the corner. Maybe this cooler weather will get me excited to finish several of the projects that are needing to get done around the house. Well, once the kids' soccer league is over anyway.

You guys need to migrate to Labrador for the summer. It rarely breaks 70 here in July. My basement stays around 60 all summer.

But then we'd have to live in Canada :D

I had to wear a sweatshirt this morning for the first time. I like fall. The views, the smells and the weather and cool nights. But I hate what it means. I would kill winter with a dull spoon if given the chance, and have no problem sleeping at night afterward. But we did get the boy an awesome Gnome costume with beard and all. So that will be fun next month.

Since summer never really happened here in Michigan, and I spent most of it dealing with a sick elderly mother, I never really had a good one, so I'm sort of already sliding into "nesting" season. Where I spend a lot of weekends cooking and brewing.

This is the time I will get to do a lot of small batch brewing on my stovetop, usually with something in the oven or crock pot, or both going. I'll do a lot of experimental recipes and odder things.

And even my tastebuds are starting to shift from all those wits and saisons I was drinking to heavier things like barleywines and stuff like that.

And even my tastebuds are starting to shift from all those wits and saisons I was drinking to heavier things like barleywines and stuff like that.

Plus one. I'm getting uber excited to take my smoked Porter out and light a fire. Also don't know how much longer my Dark Lord bottle is going to last once these fires get going. I was saving it for October, can't believe that its about here already.

I have been hankering for some Pinion wood too. It'll be nice to get a small pinion fire going in the chiminea next to the porch and watch the wee bairn romp around the yard whilst I sip on something heavy and dark.

I find I am also getting a taste for Chai tea now too.

Love the fall.

Since summer never really happened here in Michigan, and I spent most of it dealing with a sick elderly mother, I never really had a good one, so I'm sort of already sliding into "nesting" season. Where I spend a lot of weekends cooking and brewing.

This is the time I will get to do a lot of small batch brewing on my stovetop, usually with something in the oven or crock pot, or both going. I'll do a lot of experimental recipes and odder things.

Good point. I do enjoy the cooking and stuff more in the fall and winter. I really should build that 2 gallon MLT and try my hand at a few mini batches. Should be easier to do in the house since I won't need all the fancy hoses and things. Walmart has some 3Qt water bottles that look perfect for fermenting mini beers.

Ahhh..... a breathe of fresh fall air and I am a happy man. Not to mention I get to bring the wool sport coats out into the open again! :ban:

CIMG2330.JPG

yeah I'm glad summer is over. I'm just not looking forward to the harsh winter we always get down here. :)

I hate losing summer.

I love to know that it will be warm every day, and that I can wear the absolute minimal clothing whether it be for brew day or hanging around outside the preschool.

Summer is great, you know where you stand. Yeah, maybe it's warm, but it is NOT trying to brew when any wet equipment freezes to any surace you leave it on.

I hate winter brewing.....But you know what I hate more? I hate when people think there is an actual SEASON for brewing! That is like saying there is a season for farting! We all gotta fart, and we all gotta brew.......I'll be damned if I won't fart or brew for an entire season! :D

Eh, you can have it. I enjoy summer, but much prefer fall. It's cool, comfortable and beautiful. I'm also one of those weirdos who enjoys winter, though it sometimes lasts a few weeks longer than I would like.

There is nothing quite like that first snowfall of the season. :)

Yeah no, we have a short winter here in Tennessee, but winter still sucks ass.

Fall is bittersweet for me. It means the end of trout season but the beginning of steelhead. I love the winter though, die-hard steelheading and I can't wait to break out the cross-country skis!

Eh, you can have it. I enjoy summer, but much prefer fall. It's cool, comfortable and beautiful. I'm also one of those weirdos who enjoys winter, though it sometimes lasts a few weeks longer than I would like.

I'm with you. I love the change of the seasons, even winter, but winter is too long for me. I hate February with a passion. It is freezing, the sun rarely comes out, the good sports are over, and I start getting anxious for the spring.

Ohio in summer = fat chicks in shorts
Ohio in winter = fat chicks in winter warmers

I guess there is something good about winter after all. :(

Come talk to me in January, when I'm brewing in my garage & it's 65-70F outside.

Back