Growler Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCBrewGuy

Reaction score
I know this debate has been beaten to death but... I was given a growler from Benjamin Arthur as a birthday gift. I called them and they say that the growler was pressure tested and exceeded the highest standards for all state regulations (no idea what those are). That said, they were not sure if it would hold up to the pressure of me carbing in the bottle. They seemed to think that would work fine but didn't want to speculate and didn't. Fair enough. But does anyone know what these state regulations are? I assume they are for beer poured off the tap and if so, probably not the same degree of pressure that builds up when bottle carbing, right?

the regs are for a carbonated beverage, not for in-bottle carbonation process. sort of the difference between like a red wine bottle and a champagne bottle. champagne bottle is designed to withstand 110PSI+ during dosage.
part of the issue is also design/shape of the bottle. the bottom of a growler (the typical brewpub screw top kinds) is a weak spot, thin glass and lots of unsupported, unreinforced surface area exposed to rising pressures during the phase when yeast is producing gas and that gas has not yet dissolved into the liquid... i have seen the bottoms blow out of growlers like a glass frisbee, intact and everything.

That's what I figured. For what its worth, this is not a brewpub style growler. It's a pretty well built flip=top growler made by a glass co. But that said, and being that it was a birthday gift, think I'll use to for carrying already carbonated beer. Thanks

i have heard of some people priming in the flip-top growlers with success (there are alot of threads here on this, search "priming+growler") - they are substantially different from the "portable 6-pack" brewpub growlers, but i agree with you, even if it was okay for the purpose, i'd still prob use it for filling from the taps and not priming in it.

Back