Beer Nutz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Anyone watch this? I just saw it on MojoHD for the first time. It was pretty cool - they toured a couple of pubs and breweries in VT including Magic Hat. The owner of which is crazy. In a good way.

Then they followed some guy home to learn how to homebrew. The guy was showing us how to rack from the primary bucket to the secondary glass carboy.

He stuck the racking cane in the bucket and handed the tube to his buddy who is, "better at siphoning." The buddy sucked on the tube until he got beer in his mouth then stuck it in the neck of the waiting carboy. You could see the runner of drool go from his mouth to the carboy.

He then left the tube stuck in the neck so the beer fell the whole height of the carboy to splash down at the bottom. The camera panned up the length of the tube so we could see all the air in the tube.

I'm sure it didn't harm the beer much, but I was amused to see him violate just about every racking guideline I've ever read :)

-Joe

I've caught the show a few times. The hosts tend to be kind of dumb and corny sometimes but I watch it because the places they go tend to be cooler than they are. Three Sheets is a good beer/alcohol show on MOJO. Zane Lamprey travels the world and goes to all the breweries, distilleries and pubs.

He stuck the racking cane in the bucket and handed the tube to his buddy who is, "better at siphoning." The buddy sucked on the tube until he got beer in his mouth then stuck it in the neck of the waiting carboy. You could see the runner of drool go from his mouth to the carboy.

wait how are you supposed to get the beer out....with out a pump I mean

Fill the siphon with water, then dunk one end of the racking cane into the wort to transfer it. Or gargle with vodka or some other booze first.

I saw that episode too... It made me feel like I was watching the "Amber Waves" episode of Good Eats. :( . They do go to some decent breweries sometimes though; but don't really seem to care about beer that much though.

wait how are you supposed to get the beer out....with out a pump I mean

Autosiphon!!! And put the end of the racking tubing in the bottom of the carboy to prevent aeration.

I've think I've seen all the episodes now. They did one season out a few years ago and MOJO keeps repeating them every once in a while. The shows are somewhat interesting however Three Sheets also on MOJO is much better. Three Sheets is in its 3rd season but they keep replaying the earlier episodes so you can catch up. It is quite humorous but there is interesting information also.
If you have an interest in wine Uncorked is not too bad either.

Craig

I think it is a great concept with interesting locations they showcase. Unfortunately the hosts are morons. You should watch them pour draft beer.

Have a great weekend everyone.

HB Bill,

Your replies keep popping up in my inbox. It looks like you had a good afternoon :).

The premise of BeerNutz is great and I like how they visit the local microbrews and not just taphouses. However the hosts are like watching paint dry.
Three Sheets is a model they should try to follow, get a professional TV person that can breath live into the subject matter. With BeerNutz I find most of the people they interview more interesting than the hosts and that should not happen too often with a TV show.

I've got a DVD or two full of Beer Nutz episodes. They were ok to watch once, but I'm sorry I actually bought DVDs. Agreed...the hosts are probably the reason the show didn't make it past the first season (or two?).

Anyone watch this? I just saw it on MojoHD for the first time. It was pretty cool - they toured a couple of pubs and breweries in VT including Magic Hat. The owner of which is crazy. In a good way.

Then they followed some guy home to learn how to homebrew. The guy was showing us how to rack from the primary bucket to the secondary glass carboy.

He then left the tube stuck in the neck so the beer fell the whole height of the carboy to splash down at the bottom. The camera panned up the length of the tube so we could see all the air in the tube.

I'm sure it didn't harm the beer much, but I was amused to see him violate just about every racking guideline I've ever read :)

-Joe

Never saw the show, don't really want to either from what I've read so far, BUT you can see an award winning animated "Magic Hat Beer" commercial here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/128597 View the rest of this animator's work at your own risk. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back