Automotive nonsense

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ize

Reaction score
WOOHOO! I love working on cars... nothing like a nuckle-buster or two to wrap up the weekend!!! :mad:

Told SWMBO it's a good thing I drink... :ban:

Ize

Looks like the " Deersquatch ". That's pretty cool.

I've been experiencing tractormotive nonsense today. My old Farmall has been screwing around with me while I dragged my pasture . It would act like it was running out of gas from time to time. Gas was low, figured it might be sloshing away from the tank drain. That was a good excuse for a trip to the store for gas and beer. Ever had a Steel Reserve Triple Export ? Neither have I. I bought Miller. A six-pack fits on top of the gear box of my tractor perfectly.
Anyway. Filled the tank and it ran fine for about an hour , then started the same old BS with me. Damn, I love old farm equipment !

Mr. GreenMonkey

I failed to mention, it's her car... Brakes on a Sunday afternoon. Nothin' quite like it. SOB is done. So is the chunk out of my thumb...

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
What the heck is that evil cervid you have for an avatar?

It's one of "The Knights Who Say 'NI!' in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Deersquatch" is a new one to me, but I get the idea! :D

And yeah, sorry about the tractor probs... I know a few farmers and that's a fave... :drunk:

I'd have to think tho that if you're seeing green monkeys it's probably a sanitation issue. ;)

Ize

Ize, are you a mechanic or just like to DIY?

I am currently taking a break from it, but I've done a few semesters at a local CC in automotive. I'm going to start back up this summer. I only need about 5 more classes for the degree (if I can CLEP a few of the mandatory bogus classes). I really enjoy it. I love being able to troubleshoot some of the problems that come up. Cars are getting to the point now though that you can't do squat without a code reader. I hate that.

Strictly backyard mechanic stuff. The basics. I hate looking under hoods these days. I hear "computer" and I want to duck and cover... And that's exactly the prob. Unless you have the diagnostic equip. Which WOULD be a thing of beauty tho...

Ize

Hmmmm, I actually like OBD-II. It's usually fairly accurate IME, and even if it's not it gives you a good jumping off point for a forum/internet search. It does take tuning into a different realm from tweaking carbs/timing, however.

OTOH, I knew my '65 Corvair like the back of my hand and there wasn't much short of pulling the engine that I couldn't near about do on the side of the road!

Baron von BeeGee said:
OTOH, I knew my '65 Corvair like the back of my hand and there wasn't much short of pulling the engine that I couldn't near about do on the side of the road!

First car I had was a 69 Cutlass I knew inside and out. Great car... And then a 67 Chevelle I cussed and screamed at on more than a few occasions. Never did get that car right... (wish i still had it now tho, ragtop, would have torn it down and started from the ground up....)

I have also owned a few land-yachts which should remain nameless... :D

Ize

My '53 Farmall Super A presented me with a flat rear tire this afternoon. If I had been completely sober, that would be a problem, but as it was 5:15, I was feelin' easy. Finally got the bastard jacked up. Read on the tire " Tube Type". Hell, I can handle that, if I can just get it off the rim !

Retired to a beer and a game of darts. Monkey Jr. has promised to help me get it off the rim tomorrow.I'll pick up more beer on the way home.

Life is good, in a twisted sort of way.

Uggghhh...sudden bad memories of breaking down tube tires from the log loader at the old sawmill...did learn that a 10lb sledge and a lot of sweat will solve many problems!

log_stacker.gif

Reckon so .. I did hit the crowbar wrong and drove it into my 37 year old knee.

Knee was drunk, so it didn't hurt so bad.

I hate mechanicing on stuff. Wish I could afford a mechanic!

i'm a mechanic and last tues. was working on a car, trying to seperate a ball joint from the a frame when the tire iron slipped and whacked me square in the forehead. I now have a nice scar about 1 inch long and 6 stitches right between the eyes, bummer.

speed said:
i'm a mechanic and last tues. was working on a car, trying to seperate a ball joint from the a frame when the tire iron slipped and whacked me square in the forehead. I now have a nice scar about 1 inch long and 6 stitches right between the eyes, bummer.
I guess now we know why they won't let you play with the power tools!!:drunk: :D

speed said:

Uh I think this is why someone invented pickle forks and ball joint presses makes life less injury prone.

Can someone please explain to me why Ford insists on being such a PITA...

I mean people do like to save a buck by working on their own stuff right? That's why we have AUTO PARTS STORES... I've seen 'em, my Brother and Sis In Law work for 'em for pity's sake....

So WHY would the bastards in Detroit use TORX bolts on freaking BRAKE calipers???? :mad:

Ize

Ize said:
Can someone please explain to me why Ford insists on being such a PITA...

I mean people do like to save a buck by working on their own stuff right? That's why we have AUTO PARTS STORES... I've seen 'em, my Brother and Sis In Law work for 'em for pity's sake....

So WHY would the bastards in Detroit use TORX bolts on freaking BRAKE calipers???? :mad:

Ize

Yeah, that's the only use I get out of my TORX set....doing brake jobs on the minivan.

--Aaron

darkstar, this is the kind that has a through bolt, the ball joint is not tapered. Once the throughbolt is out you just pry down on the a frame, i was pulling against the torsion bar pressure. I have done these a hundred times, but usually on the floor, this one was up on the hoist, eye level

speed said:
aaron, don't you know the auto makers and tool companys are in kahoots together?

Something is surely goin' on.....a good racket.

--Aaron

Man, I just got done re-engineering my entire light switch assembly in my '85 MR2. From soldering on the circuit board to re-wiring in the dash, I've had enough. If this doesn't work right, I'm officially blowing my car up.

:fro: Hey yo, don't explode yer ol' ride, bro! Yeah it don't look so hot no mo', but it still a back-hand in the rear of the pants, daddy-O!

I can't help it. That smilie makes me smile every time. And even better, it rhymed without me even trying.

speed said:
darkstar, this is the kind that has a through bolt, the ball joint is not tapered. Once the throughbolt is out you just pry down on the a frame, i was pulling against the torsion bar pressure. I have done these a hundred times, but usually on the floor, this one was up on the hoist, eye level

I know the ones you got, I use a steel bar about 5 feet long to do them and always do them on the hoist, I actually think its easier on the hoist. I didnt draw any blood but I have had that bar slip and smack me right on top of my head.

Seat belt anchors are "torx plus" not torx, the plus version has thicker ribs on it

Fords not a problem, snap on has new tools out that are just for euro cars, and japanese they are close but just wrong enough that you have to buy two sets

Ceej said:
Just spent a couple of hours wrenching on one of the Electrathon America race cars sponsored by my company...
Hey Ceej, what's the deal with that slant-6 in your gallery? I was about -> <- this far from buying a D-100 pickup last weekend, but the price was about 25% too much.

Ceej said:
Most people who mess about with slant-sixes are a little odd....Uh.

Uh Oh.
Ummm...yeah ;) I actually don't know squat about them other than they have a pretty good reputation and there are some nifty aftermarket packs for them to get you around 200hp. I mostly looking for an old truck to screw around with, and prefer an old Ford ('77-78 or so would be ideal) with a 400 which is what my father used to have. But I would have gone for the D100 and learned the slant-6 had the price been right.

Latest posts

Back