Bottle Cleansing Question (LD Carlson cleaner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathieu

Reaction score
OKay. I'm bottling today -- and this is my 4th batch -- but I never know what way to go on the following:
1. Should I just use the LD Carlson's and then bottle right away or should I let the bottles air dry first?
2. In the past, not trusting the Carlson to not affect the taste or poison me, I've given the bottles a quick rinse in tap water. Is this cool?
3. If you were to let the bottles air dry wouldn't you risk contaminating them?
4. I am I cool to just rinse them with the Carlson's and then go straight to bottling, without air drying?

Man, I'm paranoid.

Well, I went ahead and did the deed. I used the Carlson's and didn't rinse with water. (Man, I made a mess; when I started the siphon into the bottling bucket I sprayed my wife with beer.)

Anyway, I'm still interested in knowing whether or not you should let the bottles air dry.

Thanks

mathieu said:
Anyway, I'm still interested in knowing whether or not you should let the bottles air dry.

You don't need to let the bottles dry before filling. You should be using a sanitizer rather than a cleaner, though.

LD Carlson is a no rinse cleaner so you shouldn't have any problems from using it, but there may be some beasties hiding in your bottles. Probably not, so don't worry about it - but look for a sanitizer for next time.

I use Starsan, I've used a bleach solution, and lots of others use Iodophor or sterlize bottles in the dishwasher or oven. Do some searches and you'll turn up lots of different methods that all work.

Barley-Davidson said:
You don't need to let the bottles dry before filling. You should be using a sanitizer rather than a cleaner, though.

LD Carlson is a no rinse cleaner so you shouldn't have any problems from using it, but there may be some beasties hiding in your bottles. Probably not, so don't worry about it - but look for a sanitizer for next time.

I use Starsan, I've used a bleach solution, and lots of others use Iodophor or sterlize bottles in the dishwasher or oven. Do some searches and you'll turn up lots of different methods that all work.

Didn't see your ans until just now. Thanks for clearing that up. My raspberry ale came out well. I lucked out I guess.

Thanks again.

Barley-Davidson said:

If he has the LD Carlson cleaner I'm guessing he brewed a Brewers Best kit. If that's the case that "cleaner" is a one step cleaner/sanitizer, or so they say.
I still use the Starsan anyways but I would rather be safe then have to dump out beer.

Carlson makes Straight-A cleaner...and One-Step sanitizer.

clean first, sanitize second. preferrably clean after use, sanitize immediately before bottling. a bottle tree is hella handy for letting bottles drain after sanitizing and preventing wild yeast from falling back into the bottle.

Back