Water Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmw6300

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer having just brewed my first batch this past weekend. I have a question on top-up water. If I were to use water that is ran through a Brita filter would I need to boil the water before adding it to the fermenter? I have 6 empty spring water jugs that I could use to store the water in before adding it to the fermenter. Would I need to clean and sanitize the jugs before putting the "Brita-ized" water in them?. Like I said, I'm a new brewer just starting out and I would like to make the best product I can.

Thanks!

I use filtered water, not boiled, to top off. But I do that in the kettle right after I shut the propane off. My wort is at 212F when my water hits. I think this process can help kill most bad things you may have in the water. It also helps to cool you wort faster.

I used to use tap water to top off when I did partial boils. It is filtered through an under sink charcoal filter to take care of chlorine. I never boiled it. If you're going to store it in a jug, I would rinse the jug out with sanitizer before filling it. I'm not saying that its not a good idea to boil it first, I was just always too lazy to do so.

I use Brita filtered tap water placed in sanitized 1 gallon water bottles. No problems yet.

NRS

Back