Stuck fermentation with cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
Hello
Trying my 1st batch of cider. Used the following
4 gal fresh pressed cider
4 camben tablets (24 hrs before pitcing yeast)
1 lb light brown sugar
1 pack Notty yeast pitched Nov 2nd
OG 1.060
Checked the gravity twice and it is at 1.030
The temp has been steady at 67 degrees.
Is it possable to have a stuck fermentaion in cider as you can in beer? Should I just let it sit. I did rock the fermenter some to see if that would wake the yeast up a little.
any comments?
It does taste gooood,,,
thanks

any fermentation can get stuck. how long between the two reading? i would wait a week and read again and see if its changed. if not it is most assuredly stuck. you can try warming it, adding yeast nutrient, more yeasts, check the PH. don't know what the optimum PH for cider is but if your batch has dropped to far the yeast may be on strike. if it is to low try adding several tsp of Calcium Carbonate and cross your fingers.

typically ciders dry out to about .996 or so leaving no apple flavor and tasting more like a cheap white wine. if yours is stuck at 1.030 your going to end up with a more apple tasty kind of cider which i prefer, if you want to dry it out more, shake the carboy, wake the lazy asses up, and within a week or so you be at very dry. check out this thread for more cider info https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

Back