1st Cider - Stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp4rkman

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently brewing my first cider using a Mangrove Jacks Hopped Apple cider using Safcider AB-1 yeast. Currently fermenting at 21-22 degrees for 4 days.

Gravity has been coming down steadily but has stayed consistent for a few hours at 1.020 which is still way below the desired expected FG of 1.002. Below is the output from my RAPT pill

1674012992762.png

Am I being impatient, should I increase temp or add more yeast or just wait.

Am I being impatient,
Yes. Two things, first you’re only a few days into what could be a multiple week process. Second, your RAPT indicates other momentary anomalies over short periods of time. This could be another one of those. Id give it another week or two before I started monkeying with it.

Hi,

I'm currently brewing my first cider using a Mangrove Jacks Hopped Apple cider using Safcider AB-1 yeast. Currently fermenting at 21-22 degrees for 4 days.

Gravity has been coming down steadily but has stayed consistent for a few hours at 1.020 which is still way below the desired expected FG of 1.002. Below is the output from my RAPT pill

View attachment 810492

First off, thanks for bringing the awesomeness of what a RAPT pill is to my attention. Second, where did you get the figure of an expected FG of 1.002? I’ve got 5.5 gallons going with AB-1 myself and it’s been going for two weeks now. Four days ago as well as today the SG is reading 1.002. So I’m trying to determine if I need to wait for it to fall to 1.000 or if it’s hit bottom and I’m good to bottle.

Hi,

View attachment 810492

You were expecting it to ferment out in just 3.5 days? No. Give it more like 3.5 weeks, if not a couple of months.

First off, thanks for bringing the awesomeness of what a RAPT pill is to my attention. Second, where did you get the figure of an expected FG of 1.002? I’ve got 5.5 gallons going with AB-1 myself and it’s been going for two weeks now. Four days ago as well as today the SG is reading 1.002. So I’m trying to determine if I need to wait for it to fall to 1.000 or if it’s hit bottom and I’m good to bottle.
Give it at least another week to be on the safe side. It might still fall a couple more points. I'm not sure where the 1.002 came from -- FG is very unpredictable and I doubt it could be 100% accurate. Might be a good estimate but you never really know with cider until it is stable for a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Back