AG questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
Just brewed my second batch of AG brew EVERYTHING went SUPER well until I had trouble with my wort chiller... Took me a good 10 to 15 mins to fix the leaks from the cold water in to the hot water out tubes :( no worries, no water in beer :) BUT !! No hot break and very little trub is this normal ?? Also my pre-boil gravity val 1.048 and my post boil 90 min was 1.044 is this ok?? Beer smith said that my effecincy was 78% but I find that the boil didn't reduce or condence the wort very much :( estimated abv is 4.7% what happened ?

Just brewed my second batch of AG brew EVERYTHING went SUPER well until I had trouble with my wort chiller... Took me a good 10 to 15 mins to fix the leaks from the cold water in to the hot water out tubes :( no worries, no water in beer :) BUT !! No hot break and very little trub is this normal ?? Also my pre-boil gravity val 1.048 and my post boil 90 min was 1.044 is this ok?? Beer smith said that my effecincy was 78% but I find that the boil didn't reduce or condence the wort very much :( estimated abv is 4.7% what happened ?

no hot break could be due to the protein settling back into the wort. result is cloudy beer, but no worries there. either drink it that way, or let it cold-crash, and drink it, either way, tasty beer. either your pre or post measurement was off, unless you added water into the fermenter to cool it off. did you do a partial boil? 4.7% is the abv i'd expect for a 1.048

I did a full all grain 90 minute boil, I'll let it ferment till it's done them rack into my keg and cold crash from there for a while...

My readings were pretty acurate I think maby the temp was not the same for the readings thow... Maby my pre boil reading was warmer than the
post boil reading that was at 68 degrees exactly after chilling...

jesseroberge said:
I think maby the temp was not the same for the readings thow... Maby my pre boil reading was warmer than the
post boil reading that was at 68 degrees exactly after chilling...

That is your problem. You need to adjust your reading for heat.

For example, the corrected gravity of a 1.048 reading at 140 degrees is 1.066 assuming that your hydro is calibrated at 60 degrees. And, 1.044 at 68 degrees corrects to 1.045.

Thanks for the tip dude i'l put my digital thermometer in my test tube next time... My post boil reading is officialy taken at 68 degreese but my pre boil test tube was put in the fridge so I assume that it was in the range of 68 to 78 degreese... Better luck next time i guess ;)

Back