Graham Crackers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonas

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody has had any success in using graham crackers in beer. The sweet and spicy flavors that the crackers showcase would be an interesting addition to a beer that I want to brew but I'm weary of any additives or preservatives within the crackers adversely affecting factors such as head retention, beer clarity and fermentability. I am also curious about the flavors added by the crackers. I did read SD-SLIM's post on the topic, where he mashed the crackers with the grains, and that provided a fantastic starting point. Thanks in advanced to anyone who replies.

You got me curious, what is this beer you want to brew? Something roasty toasty?

The Briess seasonal CaraBrown supposedly has some Graham cracker characteristics to it.

You got me curious, what is this beer you want to brew? Something roasty toasty?

Actually, it's kind of a crazy idea but I want to brew a spiced beer with lactose and then ferment it on peaches or apricots. I have three pounds of each fruit so I could use solely one type or mix and match. I am thinking about giving it a graham cracker element to simulate a traditional desert.

The Briess seasonal CaraBrown supposedly has some Graham cracker characteristics to it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into CaraBrown but the brew-shop nearby may not carry it.

Honey, Mace, Nutmeg and Cinnamon as well as Graham Flour are what give the crackers their signature flavour, so you can play with those spices without introducing all the binding agents and fats to your beer.

Honey, Mace, Nutmeg and Cinnamon as well as Graham Flour are what give the crackers their signature flavour, so you can play with those spices without introducing all the binding agents and fats to your beer.

Thanks for the run-down. My brother suggested the same thing; the only thing that I won't have is the time to play around with the levels of spices in a brew. Well, I guess trial and error is a fun part of brewing!

Thanks for the run-down. My brother suggested the same thing; the only thing that I won't have is the time to play around with the levels of spices in a brew. Well, I guess trial and error is a fun part of brewing!

You might want to pickup the book Radical Brewing if are interested in learning about non-traditional ingredients in beer.

If someone else has it available there are a couple pages dedicated to spices with some basic suggestions on how much of each to use.

Just kicked the keg for the first beer I've used that had CaraBrown in it. I'll tell ya, it's very damn tasty :mug:. Here's the recipe:

Code:
Graham's Cracker Brown Ale
(Northern English Brown)

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.014
Efficiency: 77%

LB 	OZ 	Malt or Fermentable 	ppg 	°L
--------------------------------------------------
7 	0 	Weyermann Pale Ale 	34 	3 	~
1 	0 	Briess CaraBrown 	34 	55 	~
0 	4 	Flaked Oats 	33 	2 	~
0 	4 	Flaked Wheat 	34 	2 	~
0 	4 	Flaked Barley 	30 	2 	~
10 	2 	Carafa Special III 	30 	525 	~

60 mins 1oz Challenger 	pellet (7.0)
10 mins 1oz Fuggles leaf (4.5)
Bitterness 25.3 IBU

Safale S-04 Dry English Yeast
Water: 50% Spring, 50% R/O

The CaraBrown doesn't really seem like a crystal malt. More of a brown/toasty malt kind of thing. It's like a Northern English version of New Castle. Subdued flavors and more toasty than caramel flavor.

This beer is a real session drinker. On Sunday, me and a few people who aren't always the biggest beer crowd (except for 1-2) killed about 2.5 gallons of this beer to kick the keg. I was damn proud.

The main surprise was the lack of sweetness from it. But the beer turned out great. Add some crystal if you want it sweeter/fuller. Some smoked malt would really be tasty in this thing too, I think.

Oh one last thing. I didn't detect anything near "Graham Cracker" in this beer and I used a full pound. And I'd think two pounds would start to make this a porter and not a brown too. Maybe it needs some extra crystal to bring that flavor out, or maybe it was just marketing jargon.

Shorts here in Michigan adds graham crackers to their mash for their Key Lime Pie and S'Mores Stout among others. Shorts is amazing when it comes to successfully using odd ball ingredients.

Key Lime Pie
Made with fresh limes, milk sugar, graham cracker, and marshmallow fluff, we were able to recreate this popular dessert into a heavenly drinkable version. The prominent flavors are immensely sweet, yet tart, with subtle hints of graham cracker coming through in the nose and remain on the back of the palate. A Gold Medal Winner at the 2010 GABF.

S’Mores Stout
A complex stout brewed with graham cracker, milk chocolate, marshmallow, and smoked malt. The rich hearty flavors seem to take their turn as the subtle graham aromas lead pleasantly into sweet flavors of marshmallow cream covered in milk chocolate. All is followed by a slight lingering flavor of smoke when you add a flaming marshmallow garnish, which is strongly encouraged.

Latest posts

Back