Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryt415

Reaction score
Hey i started a vinters harvest blue berry kit last thursday and i checked it yesterday it was 1.045 and today it got to 1.040 and i racked it but i noticed no fermenting smell and the airlock hasent even risen to the top in 1 hour ?? what to do this is a 50$ kit og was 1.090 started with montrachet the batch is in a 3 gal carboy now (i just racked) should i throw in a ec-1118 in the carboy with a blow off tube or what i dont want to waste all this

You did rack it off the lees way to early (should have waited until below 1.02 or so), but there should be active yeast still in the must.

Let it sit a week and take another reading before doing anything.

yea i was just going by the instructions on the can it says 4-5days or until 1.040 but yesterday it was getting ready to transfer it and checked the sg it was 1.045 so i waited till i got home tonight and checked it and it was 1.040 but i dint notice the stink in the room even right over the carboy..kinda worried about airspace since i usually do 6 gal fermentations in this 7.9 gal bucket this 3 gal i wanted to get under airlock asap so when it was in range i just racked it there was some sediment anyways i stuck the airlock on good and walked off i went back in and it has not moved after a hour now i checked it it has moved up to the top of the water like it has bubbled of is getting ready to i stood in there for about 3 min and did not see anything so i dont know what to do i was just following the directions i have done many welchs conc wines and they are rolling @ 1.020 bubbling like crazy as soon as i put the airlock on..just hate to waste 50$on a wasted 3gal kit when i could have made 12 gals of welchs..lol

by the way..ec-1118 is on the counter really considering dumping it in...that is what i use on my welchs and i never had a problem...this is the first time i used montrachet

Just because the airlock isn't moving doesn't mean it isn't fermenting. Check the gravity in 24 hours. If it is the same as it is now, then warm it up 10 degrees and see what happens.

yea i was just going by the instructions on the can it says 4-5days or until 1.040 but yesterday it was getting ready to transfer it and ...

Did the instructions say to rack from primary to secondary or to transfer it? Transfer would have implied to move it, lees and all, which would have moved yeast, as well.

Seems everything was going better this am i counted 3 bubbles per minute so seems racking it just slowed it down for a few hours

Blueberry can be tough to ferment.... keep it stirred a couple times a day. Do you know the Ph?? It might not be in a "happy zone".
Is there yeast nutrient in there yet?
Definitely keep this one warm for a while!

Debbie

Back