Oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To aerate my cooled wort I just shake the crap out of the carboy with a stopper on it. I'm guessing the oxygen tube without a stone would be fine if you let it go a while.

I'd still shake it myself though - it just seems like it's necessary.

You could do that...but it will take longer to "fully oxygenate" than using a stone. Go to your local Walmart/Pet Store and buy an air stone and connect it. Its not the same kind of stone that the homebrew websites sell but it is just as good. It will do just fine.
-Jefe-

I just layer a couple sterilized colanders, and pour my cooled wort into the bucket through them. Then give the wort a vigorous stir before pitching.

To aerate my wort I use my wort chiller.... while running the cold water through it I bounce it up and down inside the primary bucket, I also set a colander up on top of my primary bucket to run my wort through as well, so I assume that helps as well.

Maybe one of these days I'll get a proper oxygenation system, but hey it's worked this long for me..

The o2 will all go directly in the headspace, which isn't bad per se. Just stick the tube down in the headspace (not the beer) and fill it with 02, then swirl the carboy to get the headspace 02 in solution. Maybe repeat that 2-3 times and that should be plenty.

I always swirl my better bottle while I am running 02 because:

1. I don't have a flowmeter so I need bubbles as a visual indicator that I have flow
2. Bubbles mean oxygen is escaping into the headspace.

Is there an aquarium supply/fish store in town? Even a big box store with a pet department like target, meijers, or walmart? you can find o2 stones there. They are usually not made of SS though, and don't last as long, and iirc you can't boil them to clean and sanitize, but many folks use them.

200px-Airstone1.jpg

I got a oxygen tank from lowes and I got some stuff to make it work. I just didnt want to spend 75 bucks for some tubing and a tank reg. The only thing I see wrong is that the tank reg i got is like 1/2in and the tube need to use a stone is much smaller. So i need to see if i can get some stuff so i can use a smaller tube

I got a oxygen tank from lowes and I got some stuff to make it work. I just didnt want to spend 75 bucks for some tubing and a tank reg. The only thing I see wrong is that the tank reg i got is like 1/2in and the tube need to use a stone is much smaller. So i need to see if i can get some stuff so i can use a smaller tube

75 bucks??? I paid 35 for the oxygen stone/regulator setup from my lhbs. I think it even came with a red o2 bottle.

AFAIK, the regulators many of the homebrew shops were using in O2 kits recently went up in price quite a bit. My local store is only going to have them for the next month and then we're supposedly SOL.

I asked Santa for one of these:

2571.jpg

This completely stainless, inline oxygenation system injects oxygen into your wort as it travels from your wort chiller to fermenter and allows you to read the temperature coming out of your wort chiller at the same time. It has a 2" stainless thermometer and a 2 micron diffusion stone. The inlets and outlets are 1/2" barb. The oxygen inlet is 3/8".

I made one of those (with a sight glass even) and don't use it anymore. I found that using a stone in the carboy at a certain flow rate for a certain time gave me more repeatable results. I have a DO meter so I could measure how much oxygen was really getting into the wort.

Do you find that doing the O2 thing helps a lot? I am very curious. Because, I rock it, never had an issue. I follow the research that is found here: http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/AerationMethods.pdf

The O2 thing doesn't seem to add too much over rocking/shaking, except for saving your energy. But, YMMV, rocking works for me. This is something that I have always wondered about. But I also do partials and top off w/2 gallons of bottled spring water (which I assume has some O2 still in it.

Basic Brewing did an episode on it:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr08-07-08aeration.mp3

Yeah rocking works for me now except it violates the rules.

Every step of the process must be able to be accomplished with a beer in hand.

Plus, I'm running out of stuff to buy.

Do you find that doing the O2 thing helps a lot? I am very curious. Because, I rock it, never had an issue. I follow the research that is found here: http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/AerationMethods.pdf

The O2 thing doesn't seem to add too much over rocking/shaking, except for saving your energy. But, YMMV, rocking works for me. This is something that I have always wondered about. But I also do partials and top off w/2 gallons of bottled spring water (which I assume has some O2 still in it.

Basic Brewing did an episode on it:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr08-07-08aeration.mp3

I can't seem to load that pdf but when people have quoted a BBR aeration "study" in the past none of the options involved injecting oxygen, they were all air based methods. Air based methods all have as a limit, get his, saturation of air.

You most certainly can well exceed the dissolved oxygen levels of air based methods by injecting pure o2. If BBR said otherwise (I doubt they did) they are horribly wrong.

I just pmd Ed at BMW inquiring about the disposable O2 tank kits. Here is his reply. Seems like the options for oxygenating wort are declining.

We do not carry them anymore. It appears that the regulator used is not going to be available any longer, and suppliers are sold out. Any that remain on the market are going to be the final ones offered until the situation changes.

Thanks,

Ed

Plus, I'm running out of stuff to buy.

ROFL. I hear you. Other than a refractometer, all I have left is the really expensive crap, like pumps, plate chillers and a single tier setup with matching Blichmanns!

I just started oxygenating. Got the setup from Williams with the stainless steel wand. Very nice, and so far after two brews my FGs are way down and my lag times are much shorter. Not that I ever had issues with shaking and stirring the crap out of the bucket...but he who dies with the most toys wins.

Back