NYS keg deposit fee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
The last time I checked this it was $275 per 1/2 keg.

Is this to discourage useage of kegs by non-commercial sources?

Why?

What?! So if you got a keg of Bud Light it would cost almost $400 up front, but you would get $275 back upon returning it? That seems a little outrageous. It's $30 for the deposit here.

thats about what i paid when i had to get a keg for my brothers bachelor party. it's very expensive. definitely an incentive to give the keg back after use... ridiculous all the same though

Don't you have to register the kegs too.... and return them within a certain amount of time?

Wow, then that is ridiculous. I'd say its more about keeping kegs from underage drinkers than having anything to do with the breweries. I don't think the brewery getting kegs returned is anything the state cares about.

I'd say you're wrong they don't care about it. How many states now have laws that state scrap yards can not take empty kegs anymore? That is partly due to breweries expressing their concerns about not getting their property back. Not sure in NY is a part of that.

still - why would the *state* need to raise deposit prices? If it's a concern to the brewer, they can specify whatever deposit they'd like. The scrap yard thing is really more about possession of stolen property - definitely something the state can involve itself with.

I'd say you're wrong they don't care about it. How many states now have laws that state scrap yards can not take empty kegs anymore? That is partly due to breweries expressing their concerns about not getting their property back. Not sure in NY is a part of that.

I guess you took out the "Who's talking about the state" part out (it was in my topic reply notification email) when you realized that this whole topic is about New York State and since the keg deposit is set by the state legislature, the whole topic is about the state...

Furthermore, if you are admittedly (see your post above) lacking info in this matter, why would you call me wrong?

still - why would the *state* need to raise deposit prices? If it's a concern to the brewer, they can specify whatever deposit they'd like. The scrap yard thing is really more about possession of stolen property - definitely something the state can involve itself with.

New York's legislature sets the price of a keg deposit and requires a keg registration fee also.

Someone who gets a keg from a scrap yard won't be charged with a crime either. Unless they can prove that the keg got to the scrap yard illegally, then it was discarded property and belongs in a scrap yard.

Sometimes this forum takes a seriously hard line when it comes to acquiring kegs; it really surprises me still.

Sometimes this forum takes a seriously hard line when it comes to acquiring kegs; it really surprises me still.

Agree. I don't understand it at all. If someone cuts a Bud keg open to make a Keggle no one says anything. But try and reuse the keg with homebrew and eveyone goes nuts. Kegs are kegs. That being said I got my 3 Sanke kegs by different means. The best one was here in KS kegs did not require a tag for the first few years at university. Then it did. So when I tried to return my keg without a tag (because one was never legally required to be issued) the store would not return it and refused to refund my $25 deposit. My name is still in the "keg book" as having an active deposit. That keg is legally mine now in my eyes. A pony keg was from craigslist and the other full size from a bar that closed and liquidated everything. So if the bar did not care to return the keg and chose to sell it, why can't someone purchase it.

Those with cut kegs for keggles need to step down a little and have a drink. :confused:

I have not filled my kegs yet but since none of them have tags I can't do much else with them except fill them. Being used as a saw horse right now. Would rather they have beer in them.

This is stealing kegs!! None of my kegs are from Boulevard Brewing Co. (Love you guys)

Not sure why you're differentiating folks that cut kegs or use them to fill. It's not the end use that folks have problems with, it's how they were obtained.

Back